Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

Please, help ID

ireena (zone 5-6)
10 years ago

These two beauties growing next to my road, when I went to my Gruuba meadow. And every time I am happy for them:) Is it right what I think they are Picea mariana? Both, and especially the smallest, are interesting bushy branches... Is this typically for this spruce?

Ireena

Comments (17)

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Closeups of the foliage or cones would help - but looks like P. mariana (though could be P. glauca too). In nature they never look this full and healthy/

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Ditto to close-ups, please! If you can't zoom in on the cones at the top of the tree, look for some old cones on the ground.

As well as Picea mariana and P. glauca, P. glehnii is also a possibility.

Resin

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your guesses. But I do not think it could be P.glehnii. There is zone 5... That would be too nice:) But I'll try to pick up a new pictures with close-up this weekend.. I like these trees...

Ireena.

• raul_kender
    10 years ago

Please! I need help with my tree too.

I thought it could be a Picea pungens, but after closer examination the leaves growing in opposite number of three, does remind me of a Cupressaceae, possibly Sequoiadendron giganteum.
    What are your thoughts?

• raul_kender
    10 years ago

another close-up shot

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"But I do not think it could be P.glehnii. There is zone 5..."

Don't rule it out as a possibility - I would not be surprised if it is commoner in the former Soviet area as it is a Russian native species (on Sakhalin) so more readily available on that side of the Iron Curtain. It is also reliably hardy in zone 5 (and probably to zone 3 or 4, too).

"I thought it could be a Picea pungens, but after closer examination the leaves growing in opposite number of three, does remind me of a Cupressaceae"

Definitely Cupressaceae; could well be a Cupressus species; with 2 cotyledons, a Eurasian species (the American Cupressus mostly have 3-5 cotyledons, except for C. nootkatensis which also has 2). Platycladus orientalis and maybe some other genera are also possible.

Resin

• taxo_man
    10 years ago

@ raulkender - I am almost certain those are Sequoiadendron giganteum..
    J

• jth97381
    10 years ago

Sequoiadendron dont look like that when germinating. Cupressus glabra maybe?

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, good news for me, Resin. I don't know about these two yet, bet now I can not to be afraid to plant some Picea glehni in my new garden in zone 5...:)

Ireena

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

The color sure looks like P. glauca, but the tree is slightly finer in texture & uniformity.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I agree Beng. The structure is more mariana, but everything else appears as glauca from what we are able to see. Sal said that from the get go and I do agree.

Dax

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"The color sure looks like P. glauca, but the tree is slightly finer in texture & uniformity"
    "The structure is more mariana, but everything else appears as glauca from what we are able to see"

Interesting to comment that these two diagnoses actually fit for Picea glehnii quite well, it does look intermediate between White and Black Spruces. But the cones will tell for sure.

"@ raulkender - I am almost certain those are Sequoiadendron giganteum.."

Sorry, no, definitely not; Sequoiadendron seedlings have spirally arranged needles, not in opposite pairs or whorls of three like here. Sequoiadendron seedlings also have several (typically 3-5) cotyledons, not two.

Resin

• raul_kender
    10 years ago

Thank you Resin for your insight, and sorry Ireena for intruding your post by posting my pictures. I am novice in this.

After reading your posts, the two initial possibilities of Picea pungens and Sequoiadendron are completely ruled out. Now I am inclined for Cupressus nootkatensis as Resin mentioned, though other Cupressus are also possible... damn it! why did I mix so many seeds in the same pot

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

raulkender... hijacked this post..

and i am so confused.. i dont know which answers are referring to which question ...

raul ... start your own post next time ,... its free.. we will help.. and it will keep the confusion to a minimum ....

at the top of the forum page it says : POST A MESSAGE ... that is how to do it ...

welcome and good luck

ken

• Cupressus2013
    10 years ago

@ raulkender

Definitively not a Cupressus species.

Imho Widdringtonia, but it is a long time I did not grow one. Was thinking about Tetraclinis, but the cotyledons look too big.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Definitively not a Cupressus species"

What makes you say so?

Cupressus atlantica seedling, loking remarkably similar, below. Note here too, two cotyledons (as typical for Old World Cupressus spp.).

Also in Widdringtonia seedlings, the leaves are spirally arranged, they only get 'normal' opposite pairs when the adult foliage develops.

Resin

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Any photos of the cones of the original Picea question yet?

Resin

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville