Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bach13

Tall, skinny pine trees for landscaping

bach13
9 years ago

I have seen some homes in the area with pine trees growing closely together. I am not sure if the trees were there before the homes were built or if they planted them themselves. They are very tall and skinny. I am not sure if they trim them to be this way or if they just grow skinnier due to being close together, but I like the look of having many tall skinny pines in a row. I attached a picture of what it looks like. I am interested in doing something like this around my own home, and I wanted to see if anyone could give advice on how to achieve it. I live in Illinois. Would it be best to plant eastern white pines? Do they require pruning to make them look this way? How close together should I plant them? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments (8)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Pine plantations & reforestation in this area typically starts with a fairly dense planting density. Proper management would require a couple of thinnings at multi-decade intervals until only 1/3 of the trees were left.

By thinning, the health of the remaining trees is vastly improved and allows them to continue to grow without changing the telephone pole characteristic of the forest. That forest looks about the right age and density to be ready for another cut.

That forest is Red Pine...it works with White Pine too but they don't self prune quite as well as Red Pine and cast a lot more shade so the undergrowth can be a bit spartan.

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

Also note, this is a forest setting. Will not work as a single row around your property if that's what you meant by a row. The trees need to be crowded to make them shoot up for light without spreading.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

this will not work in suburbia ... nor most likely .. in your lifetime ... unless you are like.. seven ... lol ...

can you give us some more info on your site ...

i am thinking.. you might need 5 to 10 acres ... min .. and neighbors who wont care what it looks like ....

more info please.. maybe even a pic???

ken

ps: is that luke skywalker shooting thru back there.. lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: come on.. admit it.. this is the root of your dream... lol....

• bach13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I'll admit that I live in the Chicago suburbs on a tiny 0.25 acre lot. My house is built on what used to be a cornfield, so we just wish we had some nicer big trees. Maybe I could buy a couple acres of land and plant the trees so that I could eventually build my retirement home there. Do these grow around a foot a year? I have seen some homes here in the suburbs with pines that are close together like this. Based on your answers, I'm guessing the trees were there before they built the homes.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

Here is a house that is close by me that has huge pretty pines. Im sure they are fairly old. They were probably there when the house was built in the late 50's.

I have a pine growing in my back yard that grows about 2 feet a year.
    It is a little taller that 6 feet and is 3 years old. they grow kinda fast.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

Here is the same house but a front view.

• olreader
    9 years ago

I have to say this is a great question. I think many kinds of conifers get this "all trunk", few branches look and I really like it. Some because they grow in forests, but maybe some for other reasons, like these spruce in Alaska.

Maybe the breeders aren't so interested in pines for some reason. Are there any cultivars/species of fir, spruce etc that will be tall and skinny and bare trunks even when not grown in a forest?

Here is a link that might be useful: These are skinny too

• bach13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

olreader,

Thanks for sharing that link for the black spruce. I like these as well, and it looks like they don't have to be so close together and they still grow with a fairly narrow spread. Do they always grow like this or is it only in Alaska? I Googled black spruce and found pictures of wider trees with a cone shape.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm