Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheyenne Botanic Gardens and High Plains Arboretum

Posted by sluice z5b CO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 11:15

Took a drive to Cheyenne, Wyoming this weekend.

According to the Arboretum website:
"In 1876, Mrs. Nannie Steel reported that that there were only twelve trees in the town. Cheyenne now has a healthy urban forest, surrounded by an arid, treeless, windy prairie."

On the outskirts of town. Here's what some of the arid, treeless, windy prairie looks like.

Pinus aristata, at the Botanic Gardens

Pinus flexilis

Picea pungens, trimmed hedge

Picea pungens, fastigiate form

Populus tremula 'Erecta', Swedish columnar aspen

Weeping spruce, could not find label

Low growing spruce, could not find label

Taxus X Media 'Densiformis'

Juniperus scopulorum, near roots of Picea pungens

Cutleaf Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina)

Picea glauca 'North Star'. They had two, and I took pics of both.

Scarecrow at the Children's Garden. Lots of fun activities for the kids.

Fastigiate Juniperus scopulorum, at the Arboretum (15 minute drive from the Botanic Gardens).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheyenne Botanic Gardens and High Plains Arboretum

I like a lot of those... did you happen to cut any sticks off that Aspen? I'll betcha that's easy to root. Stick em outside in a prepared bed and let nature do the rest.

Thanks again Nate,

Dax

o

One home owner once used a row of such populus to screen off a multi-story apartment building. I lived there for 20 years and never saw branches come down. These trees grew very fast and were cold hardy, good for Sweden and central Europe. Due to the density of their branches, even in winter some kind of privacy screen was maintained.

o

Actually the Swedish aspen is difficult from cuttings - and impossible without a mist-bench. They are usually propagated via tissue culture and/or suckers. I grew this cultivar in MN and OH and it is very nice and long-lived compared to most poplars. It is quite common in the trade now.

o

Interesting Sal, I'd of never guessed that.

Thanks,

Dax

o

On tour with a band I used to be in, we spent one night at a hotel in Cheyenne. That's some BLEAK country. Next day, we were bound for,IIRC, Fort Collins, CO. Some distance out of Cheyenne, we needed gas for the van. We had turned down the highway that heads S. to CO and noticed a trailer, a couple sheds, and some junk, but there was a gas pump. I was nearest the sliding door so I got out to inquire about fuel. I knocked on the trailer door for a few minutes. Finally, a scruffy dude who looked a lot like Festus Hagen from Gunsmoke opened the door. I asked about gas, he said 'no, he didn't have any' I asked..if we were to continue down that road what we would find in the way of petrol. His reply......"Nothing". I rephrased my question and he just cocked one eye and repeated..."Nothing". We went back to Cheyenne.

Sorry about the OT, but that has always stuck in my memory. That and the extreme bleakness of the landscape in that region. Kind of cool in it's own way though. I find it surprising actually that they are able to grow any trees out that a way. That southern and central stretch of Wyoming is the most desolate bit of country I've ever seen.

+oM

o

the 2 unidentified "weeping" and "low pine" should be a norwegian pine and a bristle cone pine. i want to clone the the B/C.

o

Nate,
the fastigiate scopulorum juniper looks very nice.
Zsolt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here