Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Sharing a few thoughts.

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

Having collected conifers for over a decade I have taken note of some of the truths and half-truths that prevail when collecting conifers. I have also added a few thoughts on conifer gardening/design and what to plant.

1. When buying those special hard to find specimens you may not be buying the plant the tag says it is. Research what you are looking for an imprint that image in your mind. I have fallen victim to tag misrepresentation several times and have had several imposter's in my garden. When Bob Fincham visited my garden this year he identified the imposter's and corrections were made.

2. Never use fertilizers or amendments when planting new additions. The stress to acclimate to a new site is enough, fertilizing will stimulate unwanted new growth.

3. What to do about wire baskets and burlap when planting. There are many pro & con articles on this subject. Anything unnatural and in the way of root development should be removed in my opinion.

4. Dwarf conifer growth rates. Most amateur collectors fail to understand most growth rates given are for 10 years. Dwarf conifers grow till they die and can become quite large over time. Many yards exhibit dwarf conifers that have out grown their special planting area with the owner not quite sure what to do. This year I did 5 transplants to maintain balance. All were re-located in my garden. October in Kansas City is perfect for transplanting. For your area if you don't know call your county extension agent for advice.

5. How much to water. There's no exact formula for how much and when. Factors such as soil texture, temperature, winds and the size of the tree itself make water quantity a varying factor. The micro climate of your area will be the determining factor as to how much to water. Sticking the index finger down to the 2nd knuckle in the planting area will give you ball park advice. If dry to that level water.

6. I need help on what to plant in my new garden. I see and hear this all the time. I have several rules of thought to help you decide.

Mix shapes so that the individuality of each tree or shrub is accentuated by its nearest companion. Never plant two similar shapes next to one another.

Blend sizes and shapes to create visual interest. When seen from a distance, the colors and textures become less noticeable. Shapes always have the upper hand and those contrasting shapes are what you first see as you enter the garden. I like to maximize contrast in conifer groupings by also varying the colors of each adjoining conifer.

Last but not least conifers with deciduous plants and perennials always go together in a garden setting. Use both to fill some of the empty spaces and to contribute extra color. The choices are unlimited and you will have to be the decision maker in that area.

These thoughts and observations are my own with many more in the offering. I realize there will be disagreement on some of my observations but that is to be expected when you expose your thoughts and ideas in a public forum.

In my garden setting I have implemented many of the thoughts and ideas that have come from fellow contributors on the conifer forum. We all have something worthwhile to share in our gardening experience. Just doing my part.

Dave

Comments (7)