Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arceesmith

NEW Conifer Encyclopedia

arceesmith
12 years ago

This has me very excited - how about you?

The author visited Iseli a while back and spent a day taking photos. I see a few from the Jean Iseli Memorial Garden in the sample pages.

I don't see any mention of the price though.

Comments (16)

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot the link I was so excited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Horticultural Society - Encyclopedia of Conifers

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

Prepublication price of 150 Euros

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Thats about $200 US.

Sounds cool but I'd rather purchase 8 rare conifers!

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Likewise, pretty cool but expensive. Obviously of high quality. I'd love to hear a review from someone here when it comes out.

Still, as such an avid collector, I'll put it on my Christmas list, maybe for 2012. Does Santa still read lists?? lol

-Will

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bob! I guess I was blinded by the fact that I couldn't possibly afford that price. :^)

Will, I believe that Santa does still read lists. It's more a matter of whether or not his elves are able to create a quality reproduction in the workshop. :^)

Whaas - I'm with you - better money is spent on the actual thing rather than a book. But, those two volumes would sure be nice to browse through and make wish-lists from.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

He sure does...its no coincidence that he is associated with conifers!

A truly special book would be one in which is organized in such way by size, habit, variegation, golds, blues, hardiness, how to use it etc. Perhaps it already exists.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

rc, you bet. I browse the galleries to get my wishlists as well. You'd be surprised at how strong GWs presence is on google. 9 out of 10 times I'm searching for a specific cultivar a GW gallery will show up at the top. One the reasons it is so important to get the names right.

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

This sounds great!

I hope,too , to read a review here from someone. Not cheap, but good things have their price.
    I will take it on my Christmas list for 2012, too and I must think about it, if I prefer plants or books. My eyes are nervous when they see the 2 volumes with so many pics.

Wolfgang

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

The 150 euro is not inclusive VAT or delivery charges. I wonder how much delivery to US would cost. I also notice that it is not available on Amazon (which would equate to free shipping).

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Well Bob, you still going to re-write Krussmann? I read that was your next book on your website. Or 'The Checklist' I forget which. I guess it depends how thorough this book will be to some extent.

Dax

• severnside
    12 years ago

I hope I see one on a coffee table. The butt clenching price despite the liquid and free-info might of the internet, speaks of something special.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I honestly do not even own a set of books that cost that much, nor would all of my plants amount to the cost of that price. LoL Whew!

~Tina

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I have Bob's book on my wishlist for now.

I could use that little handy dandy book while visiting various nurseries and arbs.

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

Hey Dax,

Any rewrite of Krussman is way in the future right now. I think you have noticed how obsessed broomers have become and right now there is an explosion of new selections appearing everywhere. A rewrite would be an exercise in futility until things settle down a bit and the market place decides which ones are worth retaining.

That is one reason why I wrote the book I did: choice cultivars with interesting stories that are available and mostly proven to be reliable. A second book is probably in my future looking at compact and larger cultivars with sections based on colors and growth habits. That kind of book is more suitable at the present time.

After that I will take a hard look at a possible Krussman rewrite which I may or may not self publish.

Since I have a comprehensive library of conifer books, I will probably scarf up one of these right away. I hope there is new information in it and it is not just an expansion or rewrite of Welch's Checklist. So many conifer books rehash old information that it is hard to find a good one.

I know Aris worked very hard at taking quality photographs and having correct labeling in many different countries. I know that part will be excellent. But don't be disappointed if the book has an European flavor/emphasis since that is the expertise area of the authors.

I expect this book to be an excellent shelf reference but of limited use to anyone who wants to use it to design a landscape. The last Conifer Encyclopedia by van Hoey Smith and van Gelderen caused a lot of disappointment when people tried to use it that way. I used to get want lists on a regular basis listing plants from that book that were not in this country and had to explain that it was not an availability list for nurseries.

I am just commenting based upon past experience and won't know for sure until I purchase a copy. I know it will be useful for me, and 2-3 cents per color picture is cheaper than I can do them on my ink jet printer.

Bob

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    12 years ago

I'm still waiting for the much delayed "Conifers Around the World". Seeing species conifers in their native habitats is more interesting to me than seeing cultivars at a place like Iseli.

I emailed them in the spring and they acted like it was coming out "real soon now".

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dendropress.com/

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Well I can't wait for the new RHS book I won't be
    able to put it down.