Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

Gruba Pinetum - the first planting season is over

ireena (zone 5-6)
10 years ago

Time stays cooler and the winter is coming soon. Planting now will stop. There are a lot of other work.... Now we let's start rarefied trees and shrubs in our forest.

During this period, I planted 52 plants. I started planting in July. In general, these areas began to cultivate in April ...

This property my husband and I got by the inheritance. There are 4 ha forest and 3 ha meadow. The meadow was uncared and now start overgrow with bushes. There currently is no electricity and water need to carry from our small river. Good fitness!:)

Here is a start in April and May:)

And my first 3 trees

The same places now - the left side

And the right side - then -

and now -

The central view -

In the center I plant 4 big Picea abies group - I want to cover the ugly corner with the locar road and electricity poles... Spaces between piceas are enough - 6-7 meters. It looks less:)

Behind the house there is a large area where I will planting next year. There are only 3 Piceas now...

And some pictures more... just nicely views:)

Ireena

Comments (8)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Ummm...where is your deer protection? I assume the dogs are not going to be permanent residents?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

3 ha is over 7 acres of meadow.. brilliant!!!!

what is Gruba??? ... your last name????

is that black soil.. the native soil...??? .. i am jealous ...

congrats ...

ken

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smivies, building a fence around the first plants is the next step for me this fall. But so far they have not damaged anything... Build a fence around 3 ha area is not easy and it is expensive... Someday I will do it, but not right away:) And these dogs are my assistants:) They are taught to not piss on the trees....

Ken, Gruuba is name of my little river in my property. And my husband father old farm name - Gruubas...(with long "u") He owned 40 hectares of land and forest. But then the war broke out and the communists took away all the properties for all citizens. Only now, 20 years ago, when we are again independent, was able to get back to this land... He took back only 7 ha ... But this is more than enough for me. My native soil is different - in some places quite black, in some - more loam and sandy loam... On the best places the fertile layer is 40-50 cm thick.

Ireena

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

Nice to see how your meadow progresses!
    I like the fact that it's surrounded by native forests, thus giving it a pretty border.
    Keep us informed on the progress ;)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! DO I LOVE this place!!!! What a neat lay of land to start over to create a new arboretum/pinetum.. The surrounding forest screen will make a great back up. I do see some deciduous trees in the mix so I am a little confused that you all your place a Pinetum.

You and your family are truly blessed.

Those conifers you purchased from Edwin are choice. He would be my go to guy if I lived in your area even if I had to travel a bit.

Taking care of that place will be a challenge but worth the time and effort. Down the road 10-15 years will prove me right.

Thanks for posting and keep us in touch of your progress.

How deep will the snow get in this area? If deep enough it will offer some protection for the lower growing ones.

Do you plan to dig a well? Any natural gas on the property you could tap into? You could also set up a wind generator for home or solar panels to provide enough electricity for your needs. Just a thought for down the road additions.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 8:01

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Liop for your interest and appreciation:) It pleases me... Progress is slow... But this place was all overgrown and neglected and I am glad to now look here. Although somewhat, but still:)))

Dave, we are blessed!:) My life now has meaning. And they are not just nice words... I really feel it. I am delighted to be able to make a place beautiful...

I called this place Pinetum, because I collected only conifers. Now in my collection are 390 conifers. Some deciduous plants are only way to bring out the beauty of coniferous... Arboretum sounds too seriously:) In general, a better time to call it simply as a garden ... But I will be planted in the forest too ... I do not know, maybe the name is not important at all:) Simple Gruuba:)

Almost all those conifers are replanting from my little preceding garden. Conifers from Edwin sit in my garden beds (in bigger pots) and are waiting for the next spring:) I haven't yet any deer protection and do not want to risk. I bought my plants from Jorg Kohout and Mira Malik too. And of course from our locally nurseries... Here you can find an old forgotten European varieties.

Snow in this area (zone 5) usually is deep - 40-50 cm... Sometimes more... But all sensitive plants will stay in my little garden in zone 6, near the seaside - with more mild climate..

Yes, in the future I will have electricity - the power line is close to me. And I bought a fireplace stove. I have a lot of firewood around:) The forest is also very shabby, a lot of dead trees. This is our next work usually starts cold weather.

Thank you for advices:)

Ireena

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Definitely awesome. Great soil & good soil. Wow, Ireena, wow.

Happy for you and husband and dogs and visiting friends. And your conifers from Mira Malik and Jorg and Edwin ... wow that is great. Mira is new friend to me; incredible nurseryman/collector.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Dax for the nice words! Now this place for us is like an uninhabited island, where I, my husband and dogs feel happy escaped from civilization:)

Ireena