Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Pinus schwerinii 'Wiethorst'

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

I will be sharing some scions with Nate in exchange for some cultivars he has grafted and now sharing with me.

Discovered in Germany as a Witch's broom on P. x schwerinii, a pine hybrid combining P. strobus and P. wallichiana, it gets hardiness from the Eastern White Pine and grace and extremely long needles from the Himalayan White Pine. This tree will add a superb accent to my landscape. Z. 4-7

Dave

Dave

Comments (3)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

This guy also cones at an unbelievably young age. And I mean loaded with long, slender cones!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

This post is very timely because I was just about to post an image of this pine, I'm wondering if it looks like P. X schwerinii.

I spotted it a few months ago at BWI rail station and have been meaning to try to take a picture of it. A few days ago was the perfect opportunity because the government shutdown reduced traffic on this normally very busy road.
    {{gwi:825862}}

• mbrad_plantnut101
    last year

Bumping this thread since I purchased one about two years ago. Every spring it has great growth but in the winter/early spring the lower/inner branches are all brown. I know its common for conifers to have brown needles at some point but for about two weeks or so the plant was very unsightly until I removed the old needles. I just moved from a part-sun to a full sun location, so I am hoping this won't happen again. I just cannot believe how such an amazing specimen can look so unsightly. Any one else have a similar encounter?