Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

dwarf bald cypress 'Jim's Little Guy''

lou_spicewood_tx
11 years ago

I was given a few of rooted cuttings from that tree last year. It grew about 4 inches in the pot for the past year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim's Little Guy info

Comments (15)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

cute tree. Do you know if they're still distributing starts?

~Dave

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,

I'm not following on what you mean by still distributing starts?

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

I mean are they still sending out young plants as was implied in the story.

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Oh Lou,

that's a very interesting specimen.

Wolfgang

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I don't know. I wasn't expecting Dr. Creech to give me some at all last year when he gave me a tour around the campus showing me trees. I only went there to get some MC x BC hybrids that Dr. Creech wanted me to do a trial in Dallas, Houston and Austin, Texas area.

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Looks like Taxodium distichum 'Peve Mineret'

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Looks like Taxodium distichum 'Peve Mineret'

Exact thing that came to mind when I saw it. Eitherway, nice narrow habit.

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

It came in my mind, too but the 'Peve Minaret'-specimen I saw were more regular and compact.But similar,yes indeed.

Wolfgang

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice plant, Lou. I hope you keep us updated as it grows as narrow Taxodiums are of interest to me and others.

tj

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Indeed, the U.S. 'Jim's Little Guy' looks pretty simular to the Dutch 'Peve Minaret'.

Some background info about the 'Peve Minaret' which was found by my good friend and nurseryman collegue Piet Vergeldt.
    Between Taxodium distichum understock he found 3 compact seedlings which he planted out to watch them for several years.
    All 3 had the same slower growing rate and a denser habit in comparison to the species, but he decided to chose the most compact one and named it 'Peve Minaret'.
    In the same understock plants he discovered a yellow leaved one which he named 'Peve Yellow'...

• davecreech
    10 years ago

'Jim's Little Guy' was found on the edge of a large pond by Jim Berry at JBerry Nursery, Grand Saline, TX. While it's similar to Peve Minaret, there is one difference. Peve Minaret can't be rooted easily and Jim's Little Guy can (proof that it's probably a fairly young clone). Jim's Little Guy was a seedling witch's broom and Jim Berry discovered it could root rather easily. He evaluated it for several years and decided it didn't really fit into the mix of his nursery inventory and asked if I was interested in the clone. Heck, yes. I named the clone after Jim Berry. It has very short internodes and it's difficult to get good rooting wood. Can be grafted, of course. We have distributed a good number of plants over the years and have planted a grove of them at the new Gayla Mize Garden in a natural wet spot. We find they root quite easy, albeit a bit slow, and have found vigorous pencil sized cutting root best and grow off quickly. Can get a two footer in a couple of years. Ultimate size? Not sure . . . might become huge in a thousand years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium distichum 'Jim's Little Guy'

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

I hope we can get in future some scions or rooted scions to Europe. Nice plant.

Wolfgang

• winterfell
    10 years ago

Im going to the plant sale at sfa tomorrow. Any chance of getting one of these guys? Ill probably buy the 406 hybrid too. Alternatively, if someone wants to share some scions i have some good rootstock (montezuma cypress and central texas bald cypress)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Forgot about this thread. Ya know, I picked SF Austin to beat VCU in the NCAA tourny.

So Dave, should you need someone to trial 'Jim's Little Guy' in Wisconsin, just let me know. ;-)

tj