Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

WesternEvergreen Order

ricksample
10 years ago

I just received my 13 conifers from Western Evergreen. The plants seem perfect... the roots were very loose. The few I planted yesterday required no root surgery.

Pinus leucodermis 'Irish Bell', Pinus parviflora 'Fukuzumi', Abies lasiocarpa var. Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'

Pinus heldreichii 'Banderica', Picea pungens 'Hoopsii', Pinus mugo 'Patches'
{{gwi:827031}}

Picea orientalis 'Aureospicata', Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green', Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes', Picea omorika 'Sky Trails
{{gwi:827032}}

Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke', Picea abies 'Acrocona', Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'
{{gwi:827033}}

Comments (16)

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

wow .very nice.

• miclino
    10 years ago

Not enough! You promised us pics of the CK order as well! :)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Banderica is a gem. Anything "leucodermis" is heldreichi.

Dax

• jth97381
    10 years ago

I refuse to use the heldreichi name. Let the cone heads chastise me for it, but thats just how I feel.

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants. I like the Picea omorika 'Sky Trails'. Would like to find it here but I assume it is an American selection.
    Richard

• gardener365
    10 years ago

once you learn to spell it John, you'll be ok ;-)

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Abies lasiocarpa var. Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'

==>> one of my absolute faves...

put it close ... you will enjoy it ... at 10 years old.. mine is no more that 6 feet tall ...

congrats on the rest ...

ken

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Choice selections!

Josh

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! My plans this year have changed... my beds I've created in 2011 & 2012 have small 1' tall plants, spaced 12'+ apart and 20 yards of mulch in each bed. Plus I have a lot of junk ground cover plants that I made the mistake of putting in. The new beds I'm working on now will only feature conifers, Japanese Maples and a few other large trees that are already in place.

I've cleared off my last 2 acres this past spring at the back of my property (an area around 220' x 350' that is pictured below). I have the rope and roundup down creating all the pathways I need. My plan is to have almost all the dwarf to large conifers planted by the end of 2014. They all are getting spaced 20-30' apart with a large mulch ring so they are easy to mow around with the cub. These plants are just a few of the ones I'll need to buy in 2014. I'll need at least 50 more to fill it up which I plan to order most from Western Evergreen and also some from Conifer Kingdom next spring. The Pergola will also go up in 2014 and is represented wit the # below. It'll be 3-4 years before I start to mulch. So these little guys have a chance to get larger. I'm only doing it this way because most plants are 12" tall and are spaced 20-30' apart. It would be a wasteful to put down 200 yards of mulch when you could barely see the plants.

Well I guess I'll show you all my plan that I've been working on this fall and into the coming years. Keep in mind all the larger bold tree icons in beds 11 & 12 are planted and they were the ones from Conifer Kingdom & Western Evergreen. The smaller icons are place holders until I order more plants in the spring.

I had to redesign the couple beds in the middle this past weekend.. which is why I have blue lines in the drawing. I haven't had a chance to update the drawing just yet.

It's much easier going off a drawing than what I've been doing the past couple years... designing the beds with rope not having a clue on how it was coming together.

{{gwi:827034}}

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

miclino - I did... I posted those a coupld weeks ago... see link below =)

Thanks Dax... I wasn't sure which one was correct, now I can make the labels correctly.

Ken - Yep, that's my favorite out of the bunch. I placed this in the prime spot right across off to the right of my arbor in the picture above represented with the blue star.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conifer Kingdom

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Wow... what an effort. And what wonderful news to hear of such expansion. Our enabling efforts are working, it seems!

I've been a friend of Jason's for years now and count his nursery amongst the best. Ditto with Conifer Kingdom. Now all we need Bethlehem to get back in working order and Bob Fincham to continue his magical nursery and we'll all be in conifer heaven.

Pretty sweet, makes me happy. lol

-Will

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Hell, I spelled held.... wrong!

heldreichii
    2 i's
    not 1

Dax

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Will! I wish I would have started on this part of my property a couple years ago. But couldn't because It was all brush... or what I would call miniature trees. Most had a caliper of 1" that were roughly 15' tall, all planted next to one another. You couldn't walk through... it was to thick. There must have been thousands of them. Whatever they were had large root systems that broke the soil up. Most of the soil back there is now loamy. Some spots are a little rocky... but most of it is good. Unlike the clay I've been planting in the last couple years up by my house.

Can't wait to get everything planted next year so I can sit back and watch them grow instead of spending all that time planting, clearing brush, hauling dirt, etc.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Deinitaly a nice plot to work with. Your designs have come a long way since a couple years back. Its not easy...takes time, patience and experience. Keeping an open mind to bed evolution is key too. It never ends...learn new things all the time from the folks here on this forum.

Kudos again to Jason for quality and affordability. I have the highest survivability with his plants because of the media he uses.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Choice plants and your landscape rendering is great. Lots of thought into it and will be beautiful when you have all that done.
    Cher

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Will & Cher! I redrew some of it after I took measurements to get it to flow better. Looks like I'll have to order only 15 more conifers and I'll have the field all filled up. I have enough conifers everything North of the silver line. I'm very happy with the layout. After these are planted and then mulched in a few years I'll have to talk the wife into letting me do the front yard. Hopefully some day I'll have a small arboretum. Most of the pathways are 14' wide

{{gwi:827035}}