Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eneref

Conifer identification?

eneref
10 years ago

A few years ago, I bought a new house with all sorts of lovely land for planting trees. I planted a few Japanese maples for some colour, and a conifer or two, and then got the bug. I've now planted over 70 conifers here (some duplicate cultivars) and a swath of Japanese maples for colour and form. Some of the cultivars I planted are experiments in zone pushing or root stock choices or levels of shade or sun tolerance. Most are well suited to the areas in which they've been planted. I've learned a lot as I've gone on (and still have a lot to learn, obviously).

I have, however, gained a new conifer in the yard without planting. There's an old border fence along the driveway -- untreated Western cedar from a local garden shop, I imagine. Over time, it's somewhat sunk into the ground at the bottom, and a knot wound up in the dirt. Inside that knot was a seed of something. From the look of it, a Juniper. It grows in mostly deep shade from some oaks and a privet I've yet to eradicate. It's got a nice blue/green colour to it. And it grows rapidly. In the last year, it's grown maybe 8-12".

I was wondering if someone might help me identify it.

Any help you could give me for my records would be wonderful. Thanks again!

Neil

Comments (3)