Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowville5

stake know-how

Next spring I will need to stake some weeping conifers, but have not been able to find products locally. Online searching has led me to consider purchasing a Tapener Gun and Tapener Plant Tie Tape. The guns are $44. Do you need a gun or will a regular stapler work?
What do conifer gardeners use for stakes? steel or bamboo or other? Do you tape stakes together to create the 12 foot height?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (13)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

You're overthinking it. Bamboo poles and flagging tape is all you need. Just cut some pieces and tie them on. For training a weeper, you only need to train the top of the tree, so there's no need to tape all the way down, as it'll harden up and support itself as you continue to train it up.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Bamboo pole and electrical tape?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

all speculation ...

SHOW US THE PLANT ... !!!! .. and it would be nice to know what plant ... on a lot of them.. you are not going to be pulling back .. year old wood ...

we will tell you how to stake it ...

and then send me the 44 bucks ... lol ...

crikey man???

and do tell.. why you need to stake something more than eight feet??

if so.. you will need the 44 bucks to buy rebar long enough to pound in the ground a few feet.. to go higher than 12 feet... [which means you will need at least an 18 foot ladder.. and the ability to stand on top of if and swing a sledgehammer .. unless this is where you happen to tell us.. you have a street sign pounder inner available .. lol]

so you will have to figure out.. how to move a one inch steel bar that is 15 feet long.. winch it up.. and pound it in ...

i have other ideas .. but not until you show us a pic ...

ken

ps: dont recognize the name.. welcome.. hope you have a sense of humor ...

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

44 bucks....you come cheap.

You say: " we ( did you mean me & others) will tell you how to stake it ...and then send me (Ken) the 44 bucks". Sounds like lawyer deception or tomfoolery to me.

I charge $200.00 for expert advice and you never paid up. LOL

Aside from that never use electrical tape for securing tree to stake. Stretch tape from your local nursery is the acceptable product to use.

As Ken says: "show us a pic" ...

Dave

10 years ago

well.. i was going to send you your share dave.. wink.. wink ...

anyway ... i tried to get a larch up that high..

you know why it failed.. i got so sick of looking at the moon pole.. i finally gave up ... [as in half way to the moon] ....

also.. i found out.. oriental rugs are sent to carpet stores on 10 to 12 foot bamboo .. whats that all about .. but i never figured out how to get it far enough in my SAND ... for it to support anything ... would your soil allow such ???

which leads us back to what might be called a splint ... why does it have to go in the ground... it only has to go down the trunk far enough to be secure ...

old panty hose can be used to tie off the plant... it rots away.. when you forget to remove it ... or jute ..

nothing plastic.. man made.. nor wire ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i will try to get these pix back up tomorrow.. no time tonight ... but the words might be pretty enough for you to understand ...

• lowville5 zone5b/6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries, Ken, I find your posts to be hilarious!
    I bought my first weeping conifers:
    Larix kaempferi âÂÂJakobsenâÂÂs PyramidâÂÂ, Picea pungens âÂÂThe BluesâÂÂ, Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' and Pinus strobus âÂÂPendulaâÂÂ
    and I just want to be prepared to be able to stake them properly.
    Sorry, I don't know how to post multiple pictures. It took me hours today just to join and upload photos to photobucket!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies âPuschâ, Acer shirasawanum âMr. Sunâ and Picea pungens âThe Bluesâ

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

FWIW, I use some metal stakes wih flat sides the box store sells and old nylons my wife is done with.

Well, a few years back she was either out or did not want to share and I had to go shopping. I have a preference for the lighter colors.

Point if the nylons is the have a decent enough contact area and they are gentle on the bark of the tree.

The "flat sided" parts of the stakes is important to me. A metal bar a half inch around has a half inch contact area for whatever length you drive into the ground. Put a three or four inch wide flat area on it and you make it more difficult to pull through the soil.

When I stake it has been to keep recent transplants from blowing over. I use a three point system that does not pull on the tree constantly.

• jth97381
    10 years ago

FYI Jakobsens Pyramid is not a weeper. Narrow fastigiate pillar. Prune it like you hate it. Trust me. I take off almost all branches to just a stub every other year. Comes back better every time. No staking need after a year or so.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, I had meant to write Larix decidua kaempferi âÂÂPendulaâÂÂ, which Darren (Whistling Gardens) suggested I stake to 12 feet tall.

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Hopefully everyone has successfully dissuaded you from the tapener. I have two of them and a box of several thousand of the staples that go with them which you are welcome to have.

The good aspects of the tapener are that it is fast and the plastic stays in place and last a long time. The problem occurs when the tape girdles the truck you are tying.

Dittos to the above suggestions on old nylons. I have found that untreated jute twine will start to rot after a year and by then has served the purpose.

10 years ago

in PBucket .. find the HTML code ... paste it where you type ... on preview.. if you see it ... we will see it ...

there are 2 kinds of pendulous plants... those that have a leader... and the secondary branches weep ..

and those whose leaders need to be trained, or would otherwise grow on the ground ..

i think the pungens.. will never need to be staked .... it will go skyward ...

the larch .. larix.. is all about you ...

if Darren has this bright idea... how would he do it ... w/o any of his machines???? ... and thats the key ... nursery dudes have machines.. a guys to help ... i dont ...

forget about the link above

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I will use old nylons and bamboo, only as needed.
    I have another question about staking.

How long do I leave the stake on that came with the tree when I purchased it? One year?

Picea orientalis âÂÂSkylandsâÂÂ, purchased Oct 2013

Also, am I right to leave these trees to find their own way and shape?
    Picea abies âÂÂCranstoniiâÂÂ

and Juniperus communis âÂÂHorstmannâ (sorry for the lousy photo but I'm not home to take a close-up)

10 years ago

the stakes in the pot... were shipping stakes ... get rid of them now .. too short for any future purpose ..

your paths.. remind me of some other guys garden ... lol ... [and dave.. i am not talking about you again ...]

ken

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths