Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea abies Gold Dust or Perry's Gold

Posted by ingeborgdot 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 13:27

If you had a choice would you choose Gold Dust or Perry's Gold? I have not seen them in person so I am not sure of the actual look and shape and size. What is your favorite? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea abies Gold Dust or Perry's Gold

'Gold Dust' for me, because it will keep it's special colour all year long and doesn't need that much space as the 'Perry's Gold' will need at a later age...

o

Coming from you, that is a selling point. I am on that one right now. What is the size relationship of this plants? 2 to 1 for height to width? In about ten years is the avg. size going to be like 4'x 2'? I know that all is different in different areas but I just want a gauge. Thanks.

o

See it for yourself:

Picea abies 'Gold Dust' 30 year old specimen at Don Howse)
It's 5 metres tall and 1 metre wide.

Picea abies 'Gold Dust'

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'
This pictures as taken by our forum friend Dave Stegmeier, in his own garden and is about 14 years old.
It's about 1,5 metres high as wide, and will be getting wider as is ages.
Please, Dave, correct me if I'm wrong...
Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 15:36

If you go after 'Gold Dust' I have a feeling that this one being sold is 'Gold Dust' and not 'Variegated'.

If its the latter, then $25 for a 4-5 yr old plant is a steal.

I got one and compared it to my 2 year old 'Gold Dust' and they look identical.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Gold Dust'

o

Coniferjoy is right. Comparison is apples to oranges. That being said you did not say to choose just one or the other so may I choose both? FYI Perry's Gold is a very good performer in this zone (5).

o

Oh my...I love Gold Dust. Much MUCH nicer than Perry's Gold. Great photos Edwin.

o

How large is gold dust going to get? I have seen 9'x4', 16"x12", 4'x2' in 10 years. That is quite a bit different sizes. Anyone of you that has it have any idea?

o

In 10 years, 4x2ft. wouldn't be out of the question. Don Howse of Porterhowse Farms fame has one that's 9x4ft., but it's got to be around 30 years old.

My 10-year old specimen is about 2.5x1ft. Here's a picture from last spring.
Picea abies 'Gold Dust' photo 2095.jpg

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 21:53

o

Strange Dave. My specimen is about 6-7 years old and can't be even half your size... I bought it as a 2-3 year old and that was in 2008-2009 Winter. You sure that huge plant is only 7??? How old was it when you put it in the ground?

-Will

o

Hi Will,

It was pretty much the same age as most of the stuff I plant, a 2-3 year old graft. Pretty sure I got it from Bob. I just checked the records. I developed that particular planting late in 2004, so I planted it in 2005. I suppose a lost track of time, here. That tree must actually be ~10.

~Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here