Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Newbie and introduce myself

greendale
10 years ago

Hi, Everyone:

First I want to say thanks for all the contributors and enablers on this forum, expecially those pictures - I learned how to appreciate the beauty of the conifers.

I have been lurking here for about one year now. It all started last fall I planted a row of Emerald Green Arbs on my property line and I searched for how to take care of them and then I found this forum. I planted another 12 Arbs this fall. (I will talk about them in another post).

Most supprisely is that now I find myself own some conifers other than the Emerals Green Arbs. I do not know how that happened (As I used to think confier is boring - evergreen and annoying - needles). Anyway, here are what I have, they are not some special cultivars/nor expensive, I got them from BBS. (the reason for the NOT-SO-CONFIDENT IDs). They are scattered on different places in my yard. I am think maybe I could put them together and make a small japanese garden, maybe add a Japanese Maple and other conifer to the garden? The ginko I got from a friend, I was worried it will be too big for my small back yard, but then I saw a picture here that shows a multi-stems trimmed ginko tree in the background, that the a-ha moment for me that I can include the gingo into the conifer garden (or Japanese garden).

Juniperus squamata blue star

Another "blue Star", is it crafted into a root stock?

picea pungens glauca globosa

pinus mugho pine

Ginko

dwarf alberta spruce

Thanks & Regards
-Greendale

This post was edited by greendale on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 14:29

Comments (14)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Gotta start somewhere!

I too rolled in here simply looking for recommendations for screening. Damn people here burnt up my wallet now.

Your last pic is a repeat and is Juniperus squamata 'blue star'.

The rest are correct but hard to say if the mugo pine is a cultivar of some kind and same goes for the Ginkgo.

The pungens is likely correct.

Now your next step is gold flushers, then varigated, then brooms....then you move onto favoring specifc species and habits.

Good luck!

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Whaas, I edited the image.

I know, I was hoping somebody here would stop me sliding to a coniferholic, guess I come to the wrong place. :)

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

This is where it starts. Then you start looking for more and more suppliers. Then you start mainlining them while people on the forum offer you needles lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Damn people here burnt up my wallet now.

==>>> yeah ... yeah ..... the addict always blames the pusher.. never any personal responsibility ... lol ..

a lot of BBStore mugo are seedlings .... you never know what you will up up with.. until it swallows up the house or half the yard....

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Welcome aboard Greendale, Wait till you start dragging home conifers you dont even have room for!....You Know....a few spares!

Al

• botann
    10 years ago

Yes, welcome, Greendale. If you keep bringing conifers and spares home, pretty soon you won't be able to see out of your house. ;-)
    Mike

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

This is follow up on Ken's remark. Ken which mughos will swallow the yard? I have two large slopes that I need swallowed. I saw where you indicated Hoopsi is one of the faster growing piceas, What about the faster growing globose pines? Which ones eat a lot of real estate width wise. ?Thanks Kathy

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Unless I am seeing something others are not, that last photo is indeed a dwarf Alberta spruce, not Blue Star juniper.

Mugo pines can vary so much in both height and width by specific cultivar, it is impossible to make generalizations. IME, the lower growing dwarf forms do not develop much of spread either, with the possible exception of the Pumillo Group. These seems to have an ability to spread maybe twice their height, which is typically somewhere in the 3-5' range. Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' can cover a lot of territory as well.

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

Could you make some rec from the pumillo group? Thank Kathy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

cococo .. start your own post ..

the ones my dad bought around 1965 tagged as dwarf ... and mere 15 feet wide .. and 10 feet tall by 1990 ... i said... they are often seedlings.. there is no name

... in 1990 ... he was still wondering why they called them dwarf ... i said .. listen old man .. take a look at my life... i'm a lot like you were ... lol .. see link ...

i finally ripped them out.. since he had planted them 2 feet form the foundation.. have you heard my rant on foundation planting??? ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

I need help with a very long slope. I would like the evergreens to be wide rather than tall. The reason is the berm at the top of the slope is the main area the wildlife come to feed and don't want to block the view. I already have started with the usual suspects, the ground cover junipers but am particularly interested in shrubby shaped or globose pines. but am open to any suggestions . From ground level to top of slope 15 feet., length of slope over 500 ft. Have been filling with clearance mugho pines and junipers from BB store but am now ready to ratchet up to some good stuff. Thanks Kathy

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

sorry tried to start the above in new post and something went wrong.

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

loved that link!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Speaking of Neil a radio station I listen to starting randomly playing Cortez the Killer. I forgot how good he really is...I could listen to that song over and over.