Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Identify the Survivor

edlincoln
9 years ago

I had been speculating what trees my parents used to have. I finally found a loan, damaged, surviving specimen. Zone 6, plagued by beetles, salt resistant, peeling bark, was described as a "Black Pine".

Comments (16)

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo showing the bark.

• severnside
    9 years ago

Pinus nigra.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was one of the two candidates. The other was Pinus thunbergii (Japanese Black Pine). I was avoiding planting both trees because I was unable to figure out which one was the one that didn't do well. Can we definitely says it is Pinus nigra and not Pinus thunbergii?

• severnside
    9 years ago

That'll require a gentleman called Pineresin. He'll know.

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

Yes, Pinus nigra.
    Clement

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Does that mean I can start planting Pinus thunbergii without worrying the same tupentine beetles will kill it? (The local pine beetles killed off all of this tree's brethren, but left cedar, Noway Spruce, and White pine unaffected. Zone 6, patches of sandy soil and patches of dense clay, massive quantities of wind and occasional salt spray.)

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Found some old pictures of the now deceased trees. Can we say definitively these are Pinus thunbergii and not Pinus nigra?

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

No way you're going to get a positive ID with those photos...wow, they should have been culled (the photos) back when the prints were made.

Japanese Black Pine and Austrian Pine are subject to all the same pests and pathogens commonly seen on hard pines in Eastern North America. Many would agree that Japanese Black Pine is MORE prone to those pests and will suffer a faster demise than Austrian Pine. I don't think you should replant either.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The original pictures weren't pictures of the trees. You know that "CSI" thing they do? Well, I attempted to do it. Didn't get as good results.

Anyway...there are pics of the sole survivor at the top.

Most of the salt resistant conifers seem to have problems with disease. Is pitch pine any more resistant?

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

I've noticed that Japanese Black Pines are not as dark as the Austrian pines in my area.

Mike

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I'd second smivies comments regarding unsuitablility of either species in present-day eastern NA. Way too many fungal pathogen problems to make them worth the trouble.

+oM

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And yet when I ask about salt resistant conifers people keep recommending them. Do you think pitch pine would work any better?

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

Pitch Pine is listed as salt tolerant and does occur naturally in salt spray zones.

Bosnian Pine is also listed as salt tolerant (similar to Austrian Pine apparently) and is more resistant to both turpentine beetles and fungal disease than Austrian or Japanese Black Pine are.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Smivies' got more info than I do, but you remind me of my own statement elsewhere on this board-that what works in one area may not behave the same in another, even between two relatively-similar locations. So I should say, there may be factors in your seashore environment that would change the pressure level of these pathogens, one way or another, but not sure. Would salt-laden air have any antifungal or antibacterial effects? I know a lot of people say they feel different when along ocean shores-I guess I always feel pretty good when I'm on the beach in S. Florida, haha, but is there something going on in that environment that wouldn't be happening farther ashore? In any case,the question then is, do trees that don't work well in my area these days due to disease pressure perhaps do better where you are? The answer-so far as I know-is maybe!

+oM

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I read an article about Bosnian pine. Can't find a good source of it, though. Supposedly it's not as salt tolerant as Austrian pine or pitch pine, but is more disease and insect resistant, and is more salt tolerant then White Pine. Anyone know where I can buy them?

wisconsitom, What trees don't work well in your area that work well in mine? Black pine apparently do NOT do well in my area. (Still unsure if Austrian or Japanese pine is what we were dealing with). Don't know about pitch pine yet...i just planted a few tiny ones, but too early to say.

The area gets splattered with hurricane propelled salt spray once every five to ten years, had oodles of bark beetles, and the most highly polluting coal power plant in the area, if those things matter. On the plus side, the ocean moderated temperatures and reduced early winter snow.