Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asmith508

Pine Grove Dying - Whats the cause

ASmith508
10 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is killing some pine trees on my property (about 10-14) and figure out how to remove the dead trees without the problem spreading to remaining trees.

I'm guessing the problem is Insects (specifically carpenter ants), but I could always use a second opinion. My real problem is how to fell the trees without the problem spreading to the surrounding pines or other trees. We took down 8-10 dead trees about 6 years ago, and new ones started dying. I am open to calling in a pro, but don't know where to start. Any ideas???

Below are some photos to help.

This post was edited by ASmith508 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 14:46

Comments (2)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

where are they ... zone and state ... at a min ...

and any significant storms in the last decade.. like a hurricane or two???

bugs are often secondary to the original stressor ...

also .... was it a forest before you removed some for construction .. perhaps a house???

last pic.. it seems like part of said forest was taken down... somehow.. and is being replaced by deciduous trees... what is that history, if you know ???

if it were me.. i would simply pay someone to make them fall .. and leave them to rot .. enjoying the process by observing mushrooms etc ...

ken

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Where is this? Are these white pines? It could be a root disease, such as Heterobasidion. The wood boring insect activity evidence seen is likely due to an opportunistic species.