Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Snake'

My wild child conifer.

'Blue Snake' when left alone is a prolific spreading deep blue cedar that will fill in with time to make a nice ground cover. If left as ground cover you should remove any shoots that grow vertical. However, if staked when young you can create some very interesting forms due to its extreme pendulous nature.

I should have given it more room. Probably will before it devours this whole area.

Found in Holland in 1962

Dave

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I like this plant! But I must say the online info on it sure varies. Iseli calls it 'large', with growth of 12-15" annually. Other sites call it 'dwarf' and one went as far as to say growth was slow -- 2-4" a year.

So who do I believe? I can handle a slow growing dwarf, sprawly groundcover but not fast growing, large one.

• baxswoh
    9 years ago

Should we add this to the list of cold hardy to zone 5?

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardengal

Seeing a growth rate of 8-12 inches on mine this year I would go with the higher growth rate.

baxz5oh

It works for me although several deodar took a slight hit when temps went to -15 here last Winter. They recovered nicely.

"Blue Snake' had no issues.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 8:18

• coachjohnsonlp
    9 years ago

How old is yours? I have a small graft that is about 2 feet tall. Cool looking tree!

• Sara
    9 years ago

Great form and color on this guy! Will it remain fairly narrow as it ages (if staked)? Thanks,

Sara

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH