Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (18)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Thank you for your efforts Tamara. I would note that the feedback feature has never worked for me.

Jon

• severnside
    11 years ago

Numero uno is an edit facility or an easy way to ask a moderator to retro edit. I think Edwin would approve of this in clearing up mis-naming.

Tamara Amey is such as nice name.

• merlin
    11 years ago

Ability to add urls for photos that reside on a webserver would be great (maybe this already exists, but I cannot figure out how to do it), and edit one's own posts.

Thanks for all you do!

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Hello Tamara,

The forum has always worked well for me.

I would like to see this feature that some other forums offer.

A grace period to edit your comments with regard to spelling errors, additional information or add one more photo before it becomes permanent. 15 minutes should be adequate.

Dave

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Like this forum very much as its user friendly

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Thanks!

The ability to upload larger photos, up to 900 or 1000 pixels wide / tall and/or a megabyte size would be nice. Useful for showing large scale detail for identification, etc.

Also agree with the option to make posts editable at least for a short while for correcting typos, etc.

An easier way of adding italics, etc., would also be very nice - using html markup is slow and tedious with its need for the shift button on-off-on-off-on-off. Something like BB forum markup would be nice, or wiki markup.

Resin

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks for asking, Tamara.

Editing of posts, to be sure.

Ability to use HTML 4.0 codes for symbols and special characters like we used to be able to do.

Any way I can block seeing when people schmooz to the moderator like severnside just did? (dang, now I suppose I'll see it underlined, italicized and in bold, blinking print lol)

tj

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Sprucing up the conifers forum - Nice!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Being able to search or see posts by user would be stellar.

I can't tell ya how many times I tried to find a post but can't remember the title but do remember the user, or perhaps just searching for some of my own posts to update with new info.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Like before I would like to see to use some special marks again.

For instance the German umlaut (2 dots above vowels) and the ' and ` above vowels like the name Clement must be written as Clément but then you see something else like a strange formula...

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Like before I would like to see to use some special marks again"

And ditto for the degrees symbol, which doesn't form correctly - ten degrees = 10�

Resin

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

-ability to use simple [img][/img] style codes would make it so much easier to explain to people how to post pics they're hosting on other sites
    -a tagging system for threads, instead of subforums, so you could by default see every thread, or if you clicked on a tag you could just see [gallery] or [trade] or [question/discussion]. You just click one of the icons when you create your thread, and it makes it much easier for folks to navigate. You can see it in use on the somethingawful forums, to the left of every thread (I've linked to their games forum - if you click on a tag to the left of any of the topics, you'll get all the topics with just that tag). I think this would really up the traffic to gallery and trading threads.
    -the ability to click on a user's name and see all topics or all posts by that person. Sometimes I have a hard time finding my own old threads, let alone other peoples'

Here is a link that might be useful: SomethingAwful Games forum

• severnside
    11 years ago

Change to vBulletin. Damn I'd even pay a sub.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Any progress on this?

The hybrid symbol � is another that doesn't format correctly, and would be useful to have please.

Resin

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Please, the ability to upload more than one photo at a time within the Garden Web forums. Not all of us have photos posted on other sites in which to share with forum members. Thank you for the consideration.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I'm still having some problems with special characters not working fully, what seems to happen is if I type them in, they get mangled on preview, but if before going to preview I copy what I've typed, and then paste it back over the mangled ones on preview, then they (usually) work.

Direct into preview:
    Degrees �
    Times �
    Divide �
    e-acute �
    Spanish ny �

Same, copied from typing and pasted after preview:
    Degrees ð
    Times ÃÂ
    Divide ÷
    e-acute é
    Spanish ny ñ

Resin

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Oh, and ndash and mdash don't work at all:

Direct:
    ndash �"
    mdash �"

Repasted in preview:
    ndash �"
    mdash �"

Resin

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!