Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jorginho_gw

Will Picea chihuahuana survive here

jorginho
9 years ago

I am in zone 7B, last years minima have been like -13 to -18 C.
I wonder if Picea chihuahuana will sirvive temperatures that occasionally (oncve every 5-10 years may be) that drop near -20 C or not. Last winter the absolute minimum was only -2 (!!! a record). So zone 7B but with large fluctuations from year to year...I love this rare spruce, so would like to see how it does.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why not just tell us where you are???? with a little more specificity than zone ..

temperature.. itself ... per se ... is only one variable.. not determinative in any manner.. yet you are focused on only one variable ....

that said.. if you want to try.. give it a try.. nothing was ever learned without someone trying ... eh???

ken

• jorginho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Netherlands. Where I live, in nature, these conifers grow well (regenerate naturally):
    - All Pacific NW species
    - Picea abies
    - Picea omorika
    - Picea glauca
    - Scots pine
    - Austrian pine
    - Corsican pine is tricky, but regenerates till here and there)
    - Abies alba
    - Abies grandis
    - Quercus rubra
    - Prunus serotina
    - Fagus sylvatica
    - Quercus robur
    etc. all do well.
    - Figs are tried, but die in colder winters.

The climate is very mild for the norhern lattitude but not ass mild as in the UK or western USA. The coldest wintermonths (records) are like a normal one in Calgary (-7.0 C as average).
    The wamrest summermonth ever had 22 C as an average temp. normally that is the average daytime max of the warmest month. Tropical night (minimum 20 C or more) have never been recorded since 1997 on my weatherstation. In summer, the nights are 12 C on average.
    Frost ends in may and starts in october.
    Snowfall are very varied. Some winters will have 90% snowcover, no snow has never been recorded but exceptionally some winters will have only a day or two with snowcover.

What might be the biggest problem is that cold winters are really bonedry, with a lot of sun and prolonged periods below zero. A last example: in some months the temperature simply never gets above zero.Very exceptional but it happens....and those months can have no precipitation and lots of sun...

So that is how it is, I tried to focus on what might kill the tree hence the extremes.

Thx a lot for your info!

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

I have some plants here in Belgium without problem, in the ground and in container outdoor.
    The bigger are arround 3/4 meters hight.
    Clement

• jorginho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Clement. I guess I could buy some seed then. You wouldn't happen to have some MArtinezii which I could use some grafts to try to root them?

In NL in 2012 temp went down to -23 C(and in 2009 too). May be in Belgium it was not so cold. But like I said. I'll try it from seed.

Compared to sitka spruce which I find to be rather having some daggers as needles, is Chihuahuana even worse like literature says?? And did you ever need to water it in drier summers or prolonged dry spells?

Thx!

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

Jorginho, please sent me your address mail :
    clement_anthoine@hotmail.com

Clement

• pineresin
    9 years ago

It should be OK. A couple in Denmark were badly damaged, but not killed, by -25ðC, in a record-breaking cold winter.

Resin

• jorginho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

præcis som vores rekord (-3,2 C som gennemsnit), altsÃÂ¥ tror jeg at jeg vil fÃÂ¥r ingen problem her. Recordwinters tend to be very rare;-) and increasingly so....

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath