Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping white pine fall colors?

Posted by northwest_bartman 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 07 at 18:17

We purchased a weeping white pine this year, and it has been doing well. However, with fall here now many of the needles are turning yellow. We called the nursery where we bought the tree, and they said this is normal. After doing some online searches, I'm not convinced. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be expected? Everything else with the tree looks healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping white pine fall colors?

Yes it is normal but all the needles shouldn't be yellow... just a lot of them. And truthfully its a bit on the extremely early side for that IMO

o

On newly planted conifers the loss of inner/older needles can be more pronounced. In future years, the needle loss will coincide with all of the other conifers in the area that are similar.

Not to worry, it is normal though it might be more excessive this year than in future years since the plant was just put in the ground this year.
Mike

o

INTERIOR yellowing is normal ... there is much more in stress years related to high heat and/or drought... and very common in transplant year .... 2 pix below .... keep it deeply and properly watered for the rest of this fall and all next year ... let us know if you don't know what proper watering is ..

the key is the buds for next season ... do they look OK ... if they are turning black.. or mushy ... that branch is dead ....

good luck .. ken

normal
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

not normal
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond.. I feel much better about it now, and will watch it through the winter.

o

Ken is that a Vanderwolf's Pyramid?

o

weird.. i named the photo .. simply fall yellowing on Pinus .... i usually insert the Latin name in the pix name.. for just such queries ...

and i don't recognize it.. horror ... lol .. so i presume it is a P strobus.. which was removed ... $2 wallyworld purchase ... who knew.. back then .. they can grow 3 to 5 feet a year ... lol ...

had to get rid of 5.. to make room for more dorfs ... who needs another green giant.. lol .. just kidding guys... ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here