Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Cedrus libani var.atlantica 'Sapphire Nymph'

A prostrate dwarf grower I have staked for height. The needles are silvery-blue but the new growth is creamy-white.

Made it through last winters brutal cold growing in my Zone 5. climate. A real special Cedrus cultivar in my book.

Pat McCracken and his namesake nursery in Zebulon, North Carolina is credited with the origin and introduction of this cultivar in the late 1990s. McCracken propagated it from cuttings taken from a witch's broom at the nursery.

Dave

Comments (17)

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

first words out of my mouth...

oh that's sweet !

yes it is,,,thanks , dave
    ron

p.s.is your zone 5 like my zone 5 ? it's been a while,but we do get down to 20 below

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 21:01

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

that is very fine dave ...

interesting.. though we share a z5 .... i cant grow Clva here in MI .... wonder why ...

i had the standard.. way back.... every winter ... for 2 years... and they were mild winter.. it died further back.. but sprouted out in spring... i had to put it out of my misery ...

as i recall.. it was a larger transplant.. maye 4 feet or so ... maybe it was my learning curve .... but i doubt it ...

thx for the pix

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All zone 5's are unpredictable. Temps range from -5 to -20 F. Where you fall really depends upon your micro climate. Some Winters in Kansas City it never falls below -0 F. I also have seen -17 F. here back in the 80's. Last Winter we had way below averages for weeks on end. Lowest at my house was -12 F. They now have me in Zone 6. which I am not buying into.

Coldest temperature ever recorded: -23 degrees on Dec. 22 and 23, 1989 in Kansas City. Going to Zone 4 is a once in every 50 year event. Finding out what will work for you taking an average of yearly temps is the way to go. Anything below average can toast your plants. Been there but on the whole I am way ahead of the game in survivor ship of my conifers.

Dave

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Now THAT is a specimen!
    Rather than let it sprawl shapelessly, you gave it just the character it needed to stand out.
    Nice job.
    Mike

• lostpinejim
    9 years ago

That is a very beautiful cedar, nice color and I like the way you staked it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I wish I could find a blue spruce selection closely resembling that!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The zone doesn't change with the temperature unless the average minimum temperature changes.

Likewise your car doesn't temporarily become a different model when you take a road trip to the south and your gas mileage goes up.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bboy AKA Ron. I always appreciate you feedback and comments. Day off today with nothing to do.

Your comeback does not make sense. Nobody said anything about Zone change. Just that temps and micro-climate will vary with in the same Zone. We are talking about 5 here not some car going down the street.

Funny how Ken's Zone 5 is different then my Zone 5. He should be able to grow what I do but can't. Likewise for me.

End of story.

Dave

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Dave , my question about zones,,,,I didn't think Cedrus libani was rated Z. 5,,,,,unless var.atlantica is more hardy

if so,,I'm shopping now
    ron

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ron,

If you on occasion dip to -20 F. then no for all Cedrus libani/deodara. with the exception of one that is very cold hardy.

Cedrus deodara 'Eisregen'

A full-size upright conifer with slightly-pendulous branches and blue-green needles. Nice vertical element in the garden. Prefers sun in well-drained soil. 10' tall x 5' wide in 10 years. Very hardy selection, to at least -24 degrees. USDA zone 4-5.

Dave

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

garen59..absolutely beautiful photo. You have all the major players and correct color variants going for you.

The creamy white new growth, as I mentioned, is really apparent in your' Sapphire Nymph'.

Is that a Meta. glyp. 'Ogon' in the background?

Thanks for your photo.

Dave

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Dave!

Yep, the Meta. glyp. 'Ogon' in the background used to be the main focal point of my yard. It was one of my largest and favorite trees. Alas, it died this August from bark beetle. Here's hoping it shoots out some new growth from the root collar. I'll make another post about it sometime looking for advice on how to treat these tiny murderous beetles and how to prevent them.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Yes, a really nice picture. Well composed.
    Bark beetles killed your Dawn Redwood?!!! Aaaargh!!
    I just bought 36 liners for grafting. :-(
    I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. Maybe it will go away. ;-)
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

>Going to Zone 4 is a once in every 50 year event>Nobody said anything about Zone change

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bboy AKA Ron.

Remember what I said. "End of story".

You have a good day.

Dave

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

Dave, how many winters has that plant been in your planting?

Marshall