Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raulkender

Cupressus dupreziana

raul_kender
10 years ago

I am sure you all are familiar with this tree from the scorching Sahara dessert. I didn't see any post about this fascinating tree that grows in the middle of nowhere defying the limits for plant survival in a land of extreme dry conditions.

Last month I was walking an arboretum in SW England when I saw a specimen about 2 meters high completely dead, probably due to fungus attack since definitely lack of water is not a problem in Westonbirt Arboretum.

This makes me wonder what growing conditions requires Cupressus dupreziana? is it hard to cultivate from seeds? is it an adaptable species or a fussy one?

Let's hear your stories... :)

Comments (8)

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Nice specimen at Botanical Garden of Geneva.

Yep, fungal disease due to excess wetness seems a likely reason for its death at Westonbirt. Planting on very well-drained soil would make good sense - find a sand dune or similar.

The seeds have a very low germination rate, but once germinated, it is quite easy to grow.

Resin

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Foliage and cones on the Geneva specimen. Note the flattened foliage sprays.

One point of interest: the seeds develop through pollen apomixis - the genetic content of the seed is inherited entirely from the male parent, the female contributes no genetic material, only the food supply for the developing seed. This is unique in the plant kingdom.

Resin

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

We have it in pots here - doing o.k. I think there is a big one in Anniston, AL where it is very wet. Good drainage is helpful, I'm sure.

• Baobab
    10 years ago

The dupreziana cypress is a very interesting plant both for appearance and for its mode of reproduction, is one of cypresses I most want to get hold.

Pineresin I have to thank you for the help in the identification of Pinus wallichiana and for your continued willingness to give us valuable informations on everything related to the conifers.

Baobab

• Baobab
    10 years ago

The dupreziana cypress is a very interesting plant both for appearance and for its mode of reproduction, is one of cypresses I most want to get hold.

Pineresin I have to thank you for the help in the identification of Pinus wallichiana and for your continued willingness to give us valuable informations on everything related to the conifers.

Baobab

• raul_kender
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very remarkable!

Resin, does the tree in the picture have two different color foliage? It looks like the lower part of the tree is dark green while the upper is pale or bluish green.

So according to your data, I take that Cupressus dupreziana can survive in a location as cold as Geneva, Switzerland with mild winters with some snow and minimum values of -8úC (17úF). Wet conditions are not a problem as long as the soil drains very well.

Salicaceae provided similar example from Anniston, AL.

Now anyone from drier areas can give data? Anyone from Arizona here?

In the Lovett Pinetum website they list Cupressus atlantica (which is closely related to C. dupreziana) as easy to grow in southeast Texas (Angelina) with mean annual rainfall around 46" (1170 mm) - which is not dry at all- and very hot summers reaching 35úC (95úF).

And that's all I could dig up so far
    :)

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Yes, two different foliage colours on that tree; I noticed it at the time I took the photo, and couldn't work out any obvious reason for it. Perhaps something to do with maturity though, there were no cones on any of the lower green branches.

Resin

• cerg
    10 years ago

Dear Pineresin,

I am trying to find a nursery that stocks Cupressus dupreziana for a conservation garden I am designing. Could you suggest any?

Best Regards