Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_z4a

Ginkgo pruning advice

John_z4a
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm trying to re-establish a single new strong central leader in a Princeton Sentry Ginkgo. The tree is only about 5 feet tall. I planted it in June 2011 and it seemed to be fine and I even got some stem growth that summer (2011). However, when the buds broke this last spring (2012), I noticed that the apical bud on the central leader had died. There was new growth on the surviving side branches this last summer (2012)but the central leader just sat there, paralyzed -so to speak- I guess by the dead apical meristem. The little tree has a few side branches but they are all growing out at about 45 degree angles or more. Even if one of them starts to curve upward to assume the role of the new vertical leader, I'm worried that there will be an unsightly s-curve in the trunk. It apparently has an established root system; I'm tempted to prune it way back - remove all or most of the side branches- with the hope that it will put everything into a single new strong central leader next spring.

1. Does that sound like a good plan? What would you do?

2. If I prune, when should I do it?

Thanks, John

Comments (11)

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

...Plus, the crook, while it will be very noticeable at first, will in time be almost completely obscured by the laying down of new wood as the tree grows. Hard to believe, I know, but true. Of course for this to happen, the tree has to grow well for a number of years thereafter.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

It apparently has an established root system

==>> i doubt it.. after one year ...

please.. put down the pruners.. and step away ... you are way to motivated on what for me.. is a VERY SLOW GROWING TREE ...

whats your hurry???

give it 2 more years.. and if you cant fix it then.. then you can cut it off and start over ... once you figure out where the graft is ...

right now.. every leaf is a food making machine.. and if you cut them off.. of a recent transplant ... well.. who knows .. one thing for sure.. you will prolong full establishment ...

ken

• John_z4a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll holster my shears and wait. Incidentally, by "established root system" I merely meant that it survived its first winter (i.e. did not die).

11 years ago

well.. thats a great start ...

but if one presumes.. as some might say.. that a mature/established root system is as big.. if not double.. the size of that above.. and recalling what you planted recently ...

while pondering your belly button.. you might think that it will take a few years.. for a new transplant to achieve such ...

every plant has a rather predictable annual growth rate ... and very often.... the first year or two.. after planting.. the plant does not achieve such ...

e.g. an est'd plant should grow 18 inches per year ... but the first year.. it puts out 6.. AND LIVES.. then the second year.. it grows 12 ... yippee .. we are moving in the right direction .. and then finally.. at year 3.. it hits that 18 inches.. and at that point I WOULD SAY ... it is fully est'd ...

off hand.. in dont know what your ginkgo is supposed to do annually ... i will leave that to others ...

so.. IMHO.. not being fully est'd .. we want every food making leaf attached.. until we see that full growth capacity.. and then.. we start to contemplate pruning for aesthetic ... never forget.. with trees.. there is no real hurry ... [but broken or damaged stuff is a different story.. and we look forward to that post.. should you need it to be addressed]

did you spin the pruners.. before you holstered them.. like a wild west gunfighter.. lol ...

good luck

ken

• Kevin Costa
    7 years ago

I'm planting a Princeton Sentry. It's in a 15 gallon container and almost 6 feet tall.

t doesn't have a distinctive central leader yet, but it has a cluster of potential candidates in the center. In time, a central leader should naturally form. I've attached a photo of Gingko bilobo Princeton Sentry.

7 years ago

you should have started your own post ...

imo .. its about 10 feet too close to the house ... if not planted.. give it more space ..

i do not prune trees for about 2 to 3 years after planting.. every leaf is a food making machine.. so leave them there..

in the mean time.. odds are.. one will take dominance.. and answer your question ...

any damaged or crossing branches.. i would remove ... if not too many ...

ken

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

.....and I would definitely not leave that stupid piece of bamboo tied to the trunk! Let it sway man, let it sway! That's how trees develop trunk strength and taper. Being rigidly tied tight like that completely ruins this pattern. It's such a small tree, it should easily be able to stand on its own.....if that stick hasn't already made it weak and floppy.

• bengz6westmd
    7 years ago

WAY too close to the building......

• Kevin Costa
    7 years ago

That's not its final location. It will be planted in the front yard approximately 10 feet from the garage.

• Kevin Costa
    7 years ago

Yes, once this Ginkgo is in the ground the restrictive stake will be removed so it can grow commando :-)