Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Fourth Sport in a Month

Posted by gardener365 IL 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 19:43

Just found another one. It too is on one of my 'Hetz Wintergreen'.

Thuja occidentalis SPORT on Hetz Wintergreen #3 on HW 2012
Thuja occidentalis SPORT of Hetz Wintergreen #3 found 2012

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Fourth Sport in a Month

That sure is a lot of sports you found this Fall on those. You going to leave that one on there to get next year in case the others don't make it or prune it now? Being Hetz Wintergreen tends to be recommended so much, it would be nice to be able to have a variegated one.
Cher

o

Cher,

I emailed starterdude on here, a bud. He grows Thuja's professionally on a mist table and I wanted his opinion about how to cut this one.

There are two ways to do it. Cut below the sport into the hardwood and leave an inch of hardwood above the variegated side-shoot or, cut it as a softwood-cutting-only. I'm going to root it right now, no matter what, to answer your question.

I'm going to see what he has to say, then I'll post again.

Dax

o

Daxman is using his enhanced vision to find these sports!
(sorry Dax...I'm feeling silly this morning, perhaps too much coffee)

Great find and please do let us know starterdude's advice.

Barbara

o

starterdude said only if it were him he'd cut off the above part and let the sport grow a few more years until (itself) is hardwood. And he said he doesn't propagate this time of the year . . .

I'm going to try and root it as softwood.

Dax

o

Dax,

Good luck in getting that sport to root. As you know, Thuja's root so easily that you should not have a problem getting the cutting to root for you.

I can not wait to start rooting and grafting again this winter. Are you getting everything ready and cleaned up for the winter grafting?

Keep us posted on how your cutting does...and GOOD eye for finding all your cool sports.

o

Lady:

I'm about to spic and span my greenhouse with a big 'however'. This year I won't be grafting, but instead, I'm growing oaks from seed and kingnut hickories.

Instead of pitching 300 conifer grafts that were once good like I did this year, I'm throwing in the towel and calling "foul!" I'm tired of losing all these grafts due to above average summer temperatures and downright excruciating heat that no human alone can deal with, as well. I hope oaks provide a new narrative.

Dax

o

I am so sorry you are pitching in the towel. I do agree this was a very unusually HOT summer. I did lose quite a few grafts by end of summer too. But, I'm really looking forward to grafting again this winter.

I did quite a few seminars on conifers this summer and gave away most of my cuttings and some of my grafted plants. I got a little carried away in my giving so I need to concentrate on my own yard next summer.

Good luck with your oaks.

o

That's sorta the difference. I planted a tree this fall closer to another tree than I would have cared to do. This is the first time this has happened. So, essentially, I'm out of room. I have some places a dwarf conifer or another shrub of some sort will have a lifetime space, but, the pickens are slim. And I have plenty of conifer grafts that I'd ever need to fill these areas. So, I'll move along to something else, and I know I'll enjoy growing them, immensely. I get a kick out of growing everything.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here