Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

I saw an Alberta Spruce (Dwarf) today

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

Wow! Is it ever gorgeous! We were at Home Depot today getting 47 bags (sigh) of Pond Pebbles to put around our hardware cloth fencing to keep the voles out. $200 right down the drain.

Anyway, while Dh and DD were at the plumbing department looking at new kitchen sinks I stuck around the garden department and saw the most beautiful conifer. It was about 6ft tall, and not very wide. While I was looking at it some older man came up and looked like he wanted it too. The Home Depot guy said it was a Dwarf Alberta Spruce. He said it was the last one, but he said they sell lots of them in the Spring.

I think this is a must have for the yard. For being at Home Depot, I have to say the tree was in flawless condition. Because it was near it's mature height, is it still okay to buy it at that size? I've heard planting smaller sizes is best when dealing with trees....

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 2:36

Comments (8)

• miclino
    10 years ago

Jus an amateur here but I have already removed two of these from my yard. They are overused in my opinion and prone to spider mites if not in good conditions. Others could recommend alternatives.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

I'd never buy a tree from a box store . . .

Please search out a local independant garden center and buy your tree there. Much, much better if you want a healthy tree and want to take care of your neighbors (your local economy).

I'll let the others tell you that Picea glauca 'Conica' really isn't all that great of a selection. On top of that, 6ft tall might be "mature" but trees don't stop growing upon maturing. I've seen 20ft tall specimens of this very cultivar. Look around our picture galleries and you'll find some really sweet trees here.

~Dave

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:11

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they must have gotten a fall delivery of plants.. ????

i would never buy a conifer that size ... if its been at the hardware store since spring ... or ever actually.. i go for volume over instant gratification ....

IMHO ... the most overused... conifer in the world ...

as a tree.. there is no set final size... on campus back in the day.. they had 30 year old ones... at least 20 feet tall .....

in spring.. you should be able to buy two or 3 footers.. for $10 .. max ...

of course you should have one... why not.. but i would not pay more than the ten bucks ....

and finally ... unlike many conifers.. these flush twice ... the plain old one.. a dusty green over the mature green ...

there is a better one.. and this is the one you should get ... Picea glauca Rainbows End ... its flush is butter yellow over the mature green... TWICE a season ....

find a mail order source.. and get a babe ... its worth paying for the better one .. and no reason to go for the instant gratification ...

ken

ps: there is a small/mini called daisy white also ... a ... wait for it.. white flusher .. duh.. lol ... have a great day ...

Here is a link that might be useful: pics 5 and 7 show it flushing out ....

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Click on the link for a discussion of the ups and downs (well, mainly downs) of 'dwarf Alberta spruce', and some othe commonly found 'dwarf conifers'. It's probably the best explanation you'll find for why many do not favor this tree.

If you really like the look of Alberta spruce, there are named cultivars of Picea glauca that are similar in appearance and will be more reliable, better options. Depending on the desired growth rate, some options would be 'Jean's Dilly', 'Laurin' 'Zuckerhut', and there are many more. But most likely they won't be found at the local Home Depot.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf conifer confusions

This post was edited by maple_grove on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:59

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

I as well do not like the Dwarf Alberta Spruce. They are all over the place. When our neighborhood was developed, they must have been the number one landscape shrub on the developers list because every other house has one or more. I dug ours out because it got spider mites really bad and I replaced it with something that pulls it's weight in the garden....

• Fiddlegal08
    10 years ago

I just got rid of my 20-year-old AS. It was bare on the inside due to mites and also grew crooked trying to get out of the shadow of a cedar. If you're space-challenged as I am, you could choose a thousand others that would be more desirable!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

alex.. you forgot the link???

ken

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

It disappeared when I edited the post. I just put it back.

Alex