Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

Filip is here!!!

fotisr
11 years ago

left-right

Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'

Pinus mugo (Filip's Gold Dust' (lucky to have a specimen before they go on the market!!! Thanks Edwin!)

Microbiota decussata 'Filip's Pretty Pride' (lucky - as above!)

I had a Cham. laws. 'Filip's Golden Tears' on order but they were tooooo big for shipment to me, so I'm still waiting...

Close up of 'Filip's Gold Dust'

...and Filip brought some friends!

From left to right:

front-Abies cephalonica (SK2) - provisional

back- Abies cephalonica (variegated) - provisional

Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'

Pinus mugo 'Filip's Gold Dust'

Microbiota decussata 'Filip's Pretty Pride'

Pinus aristata 'Silver Boy'

back-Abies cephalonica (X-tree) provisional

front-Abies borisii-regis (SK1) provisional

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Ice Breaker'

The story: In winter of 2010 and while I was in the army, I hiked my free time in the central-northern mountains of Greece. I found some trees that could be of intrest in propagation.

My most interesting find is a variagated Abies cephalonica! The variegation is quite beautiful!

{{gwi:635726}}

image of the actual tree, December 2010

The bottom 1 meter of the tree is normal green and then all the branches are variegated, although in the last meter (tree was 4 meters tall) the variegation seemed a bit less profound.

I sent many branches to Edwin and he succesfully propagated in good numbers. Now after two seasons the color seems stable and great! Edwin estimates that it will be availiable for sale from his nursery in 2014. We still thinking about the name, however I convinced him after loooong dialogs :) to include it in his "Filip" collection!

The tree was growing in a northern slope (zone 7) and I guess it didn't have much sun during summer. So I don't know how it behaves in full sun yet. We'll check that.

Abies cephalonica (SK2)

This was a dwarf tree with interesting yellow color in December. Growth seemed stable for the last 15 years (at least) and it was 7,5cm (3in) on the leader and 5cm (2in) on primary and secondary branches.

Images of the tree in December 2010 just 1.60 meters tall more than 20 years old.

Until now it showed no yellow winter color but the dwarf growth is there. Planted in almost full sun so we'll see.

Abies borisii-regis (SK1). I found this in the nothern part of the mountain, half an hour drive from the previous. I beleive this to be Abies borisii-regis and not cephalonica as it is different in the needles. This one was in a low branch and seemed like a young WB. I couldn't do anything else but cut it all and sent it to Edwin for propagation. Untill now it grows as it should be. Compact and round.

Please Resin confirm that this seems like borisii-regis.

Abies cephalonica (X-tree). This was a quite yellow branch on an otherwise pretty dark green and beautiful Abies cephalonica. The only problem was that it was growing inside an army hospital facility (in the garden of the headquarters) so no images and unfortunately no more scions since I can't go back in there (hence the X). However no yellow color yet, so not so unusual.

Thank you for your patience!

Fotis

P.S. Notice the fat buds on every abies??? they must be having a blast at Edwin's nursery! :)

Comments (8)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Fotis! That's some terrific stuff! What brilliant finds; I hope to some day see these on this side of the water. :-)

-Sam

• nwconifergarden
    11 years ago

What a great shipment of plants. the Filip's Gold Dust is awesome, you are fortunate indeed!

Jim

• Cher
    11 years ago

Fantastic conifers. Some great finds on your part. As usual Edwin's plants look wonderful.
    Cher

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Fotis, I'm glad that you like the one's I sent to you.

You've quite a few now of the "Filip Collection", even two which aren't released yet...

It's a great pleasure for me to grow your new finds.
    All 3 are nice and differend.
    I hope Clement or Resin can help us out in naming the true species of the variegated onhe, the 'SK 1' and the 'SK 2'.

I also hope that the 'Sk 2' will change colours when it will getting colder, this will make it much more special.

Soon your variegated Abies will get a good cultivar name and will be part of the "Filip Collection".

Enjoy your new additions and I wish you good luck with those in your garden!
    Please keep us informed!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Well done gents!

The gold tree definitely looks like A.cephalonica, at least to me, it does.

Happy Gardening Fotis!

Dax

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Cool, Christmas on Halloween! Looks like a great package full of conifer goodness and like Sam, I hope we see these plants over here soon. :)

-Will

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!

Sam, I believe that being 'Filip' the selections that worth propagating (like the variegated one) will become availiable in gardens of N.America the soonest. I'd love to see, in 3 years, an image from your new Oregon garden with the variegated A.cephalonica!

Jim, indeed it is awesome looking and it is now planted in a privileged position in my dwarf bed.

Cher, Edwin's plants look like they constantly smiling!

Dax, indeed it does. What do you think about the variegated one?

Edwin, thank you very much for including the unreleased ones. I'm keeping a prime spot for Cham. laws. 'Filip's Golden Tears' so when you have a younger specimen let me know! Thanks for including one of my finds in your Filip collection! Hope there will be more in the future! ;)

Will, I don't remember if you have A.cephalonica cultivars in your garden (although with 3000 conifer cultivars, chances are you do have one or two...) but I'll be quite happy to see the variegated on soon in your beautiful chaos! :) Please keep a spot for that one. And make it big because it looks quite vigorous!

Best regards,
    Fotis

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Ewdin, you became a living classic. Congratulations!
    Zsolt