conifers
17 years ago

That's the question...

Thanks very much,

Dax

Comments (7)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    17 years ago

no experience with this , but from what I've read - you're pushing it a bit for your locale.

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I'll see what I come up with. I've left several messages at University of Illinois Extention offices this morning but everybody who's a possible answer giver is out of the office for various reasons.

I'm thinking it's root hardy, however - I don't want the the upper portion of the exposed understock to croak on me either.

Thanks for chiming in.

Dax

• picea
    17 years ago

I would also think the root system would be hardy even if the top wasn't. One other option that might be worth looking into would be using Abies Homolepis. It seems to be more tolerant than most firs as far as soil conditions and heat and is listed as a zone 5 plant. David

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, no luck yet.

I'll email Bob Fincham or something.

Thanks,

I appreciate it.

Dax

P.s. the reason I even care to ask is that a supplier I like only offers this Fir. That's the reason. Plus I know off hand it does great in the hot and humid south, which may be deemed as relevant or not, depending on opinion of course. Well thanks guys.

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Abies firma (as well as Cedrus deodara to cite another example) is completely hardy as an understock.

Bob confirmed this.

Regards,

Dax

• picea
    17 years ago

Hi Dax,

I have been trying to find firma understock with so luck. If you don't mind could you let me know who you are getting it from? It is likely the best understock for our area. David

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heritage Seedlings - The best seedling stock I've ever seen by the way. They send the stuff to you in a strange orange in color shredded paper type material with the scent of a clean bathroom. Really weird stuff.

With an order from these cats though, a 100 plant minimum of anything the offer must be met, and the minimum is for one thing. After that, seedlings can be purchased in bundles of 25 for anything else you'd like to add to any order.

I buy my Acer palmatum rootstock from them to meet my 100 and then I buy conifers in varying numbers.

Check em out! They also carry some real unusal shat as well. Grafted plants and rare seedlings. 10 out of 10.

Dax

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource