Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
123cococo

Pinus srobus 'Niagara Falls'

123cococo
10 years ago

I planted two Niagara Falls this year. One within a week has turned completely brown and looks dead. The other is starting to look bad as well. We have had constant rainfall here, Most weeks all summer rain twice a week. Should I pull the other out of the ground and pot up drier or is it something else? Can't post a pic because pouring rain now.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

pix never hurt ...

the future is all in the buds .... i have had pines.. after transplant and a bad winter lose every needle ... but the buds remained firm and tannish ... never seen such in fall.. other than normal interior yellowing ...

black squishy buds are dead .. and pines dont sprout from dormant buds.. the only ones.. are the ones you see ...

but i dont understand your history ... you speak of this year.. and this week .... have they been in the ground since spring and just browned?? ... clear that up for us ...

you are in the catch 22 of all time... its stressed [or dead] ... and stressing more by digging it up.. well??? ... i dont know .... do you have really bad clay.. any extensive root surgery???

lets see a pic or two ...

did you follow all the proper planting rules for your soil???

as a collector.. you leave me confused on why you bought two ... lol.. but whatever makes you happy ...

ken

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has been in the ground since spring and within a week last week browned. Checked the buds and they are still firm so that is very good information to know. I will leave it in the ground until next spring and hope for the best. Thank you. I have extremely bad clay so always raise and amend but may have not been as vigilant in doing that this time I I should have.

10 years ago

read at the link about planting in clay ...

do you remove all the peat based media before planting in such a diverse soil???

can you get and store a load of regular soil .... so that when you plant half the pot ... you can berm the rest with good soil ...

drainage is key to conifers/trees ... digging a cauldron in bad clay.. and amending.. does NOT change the inherent drainage of your clay ...

by planting high.. we let half the roots out of the clay cauldron.. so that it has a chance to get established.. and in the mean time.. it will go down into the clay.. of its own devices..

trees have no problem with clay ... its the planting process in clay that causes the trouble ...

if the buds are still good.. then all you have to worry about.. is how that clay will hold water all winter long ....

wonder if your location would make a difference ... next to your GW name... you can add a big city name next to your 7 .. on your members page .... else wise.. we are going to be asking all the time .... 7 is kinda vague ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry. Location Nashville. Horrible clay and everything you said I needed to hear again. Last summer three month drought with broken records for consecutive 100 degree days. Lost no plants except two I newly planted. This spring I was focusing on the previous severe drought so didn't plant high as I have been doing. Yes I will raise the bed and can get good soil. When is the best time to pull young trees out, raise bed and replant.? It tends to rain here a lot here in winter..

10 years ago

its prime planting time in MI ... dont know what that means for you .. lol ...

its near dead .. in a hole that holds too much water.. and it will be dormant soon ..

dig it out ... replant it halfway ... and make a 3 foot berm..

you can make a BED next year ...

you are confusing planting one freekin conifer with building a whole bed.. whats that all about???

as to timing.. i would defer to anyone with more precise info nearer your zone ...

simple question: WILL WATER ACCUMULATE IN WINTER.. THAT WILL NOT DRAIN AWAY ...

if the answer is yes.. i predict.. it will be dead by spring... root rot ...

ken

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.I will dig it out and raise it as you suggest .Prime planting time here as well. Not confusing one plant with one whole bed...just sort of addicted to conifers. Since where planted too low might as well raise whole bed outward as getting rid of lawn anyway. I have been slowly doing this over a period of years and love not having to mow.Thanks

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure