Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

A visit to Western Evergreen nursery

A few days ago I took advantage of some very nice Fall weather and drove on down to Western Evergreen nursery. A smaller-offshoot of his parents(and grandparent's?) Christmas tree farm, Jason Hupp has some neat plants to offer to the collector or gardener alike.

Western Evergreen offers intermediate and large growing conifers for the most part as well as some smaller dwarves. A big part of Jason's offerings are liners of various species that can be readily used for grafting or mass planting, at remarkable prices. Though Jason generally doesn't have time for in-person visits, my trip also uncovered a very large number of new and unique cultivars. Drake's Crossing Nursery(Christmast tree farm) has fields and fields of conifers growing for the Christmas tree business and one huge advantage for Jason is this provides a massive amount of plants and irregular seedlings that Jason finds, observes and occasionally introduces. Thuja plicata 'Whipcord', Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade', and Acer palmatum 'Hupp's Dwarf' are just some of the more well known introductions by the family over the year.

Jason is a collector and plant lover himself, and a tour around his 1/2 acre garden displays a few dozen completely unique and interesting conifer cultivars. A nice blue fluffy white pine(strobus), a very unique small weeping noble fir, wildly variegated Bosnian pines and highly irregular/unusual seedlings of several other species are present. As a collector, this presents something of a 'back-stage' pass and for me, easily justified the 5+ hours of driving. I'll highlight some of the cooler newer plants in the 'Abies procera' gallery I hope to get started in the next few days.

Most of the newer plants Jason has found are still under observation though expect to see some introduced in the near future. The nursery still has some great offerings, and as highlighted in my online nursery review page, the prices are excellent as well. Naturally because it's a shipping process and largely a one-man operation, Jason appreciates larger/bulk orders, but if you could only afford a half dozen trees, Jason may still be able to accomodate you. Jason primarily sells gallons and 'liners', which are one-year plants usually. I've included a few shots to give you an idea what to expect. Whether you need 100 small giant redwood seedlings or a few dozen conifer cultivars, Western Evergreen nursery should be an appealing option.

These are mostly one-gallon offerings. Like Coenosium Gardens and Porterhowse farms, Jason insists on selling older gallon plants, not one-year grafts in gallon pots.

The 'drool' area, Jason's stock plants include some real doozies! I tried to shoplift a few, but he's very organized and his cat prowls the nursery dutifully.

-Will

Comments (37)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

dude, we seriously should do a road trip one of these days. You have an uncanny inside angle.

~Dave

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You pay for the food, I'll pay for the gas!(lol, I get about 40 MPG - in a wagon!).

We can swap some golden seedlings too. I have one put aside with your name on it Dave.

-Will

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for posting Will. I'm jealous that you can visit these places pretty much whenever you want. I received my first order from Jason a couple weeks back and am extremely pleased with the plants I received. His 1 gallon plants are some of the best I've purchased, and although his liners are typically just one year old, they are huge for their age.

-Matt

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago

you're on. Let's make it happen soon.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nicely done! Thanks for the tour.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

super... i love seeing these places ...

now.. did i miss it.. didnt you buy anything???

ken

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

supurb

• Cher
    12 years ago

Wow very impressive and so well taken care of. The love shows here.
    Cher

• dansgrdn
    12 years ago

Enjoyed the tour Will, thanks for sharing the behind the scenes pics.
    "Wildly variegated Bosnian Pines" sound really good to me! any pics or insight on when these might make it into production?

Thanks,

Dan

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jason rarely if ever visits these forums, so I'll have to email him with these questions. I can answer what he told me during the visit anyway. He had at least two very cool gold-tipped/gold hued Bosnian Pines. I think he was close to naming one and then I presume grafting it soon. If you have checked them out before, he has already named and introduced several newer plants to his inventory.

I traded a few plants for some goodies, mostly plants that are under observation still. Most are noble fir cultivars, my favorite conifer but I'll post a few of the evaluation plants here.

Note the brackets instead of the use of an apostrophy, which designates these plants are not officially registered, released or named and are still under an evaluation period.

Picea pungens [Mint Julep]. A smaller, spreading Colorado spruce dwarf. Jason found the original plant in a neighbors yard. He's unsure if it's worth releasing to this point.

Picea abies [Dwarf Cupressina]. Noteworthy for it's very compact dwarf growth which resembles Picea mariana 'Blue Teardrop'. I've asked Jason for a photo of his plant. It was COOL.

-Will

• Ament
    12 years ago

Will, I love both of those, The Mint Julip and Cupressina. So beautiful! Oh I hope Jason does get those into circulation! :D

I especially love the Mint Julip, I'm so drawn to the blues.

~Tina

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting. Jason is probably one of the most friendly and responsive gardener's I've encounter. His layout surely coincides with his passion for confiers.

Looking forward to his upcoming intros. He planned to add them as they became available so just check the list occasionally!

Will, btw is it tenatively Dwarf or Slow? I imagine its a dwarf/slower growing version of 'Cupressina'?

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A night photo, so not the greatest perspective. This plant is about seven years old according to Jason. Picea abies [Slow Cupressina]. I imagine he'll end up releasing it since it is so choice.

Abies procera [Tolines Farm WB(top)]. Another new plant under observation, this is a very dwarf witches broom from a field-grown Abies procera. The actual tree had what appeared to be two witches brooms, or rather a broom and then at the top of that broom, another smaller one.

Here is the broom in the field.

-Will

• gardener365
    12 years ago

He's a good guy I've had the pleasure to know for almost two years now. First time I've seen his nursery though. He'll be one of the rare conifer growers in his days especially considering he's a young guy.

Dax

• johnplace
    12 years ago

I absolutely love Picea abies 'Slow Cupressina' -- I bet it would be a great substitute in many cramped landscapes for the all too common Picea glauca 'Conica'

• Ament
    12 years ago

Will,

I was just oogling the images again, up at the beginning of this thread... What is the orangish conifer in the third image? If you happen to know? Just wondering as it leaps out of the image. :P

~Tina

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, it's not easy to see but I believe I recognize the plant. That is Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Dead and dying'. lol

:)

While there are some 'orange' conifers, this is usually a Winter color caused by the cold and is not present in the Summer.

The best I am aware of is Thuja orientalis 'Morgan'. Truely a wonderful Orange for months at a time.

-Will

• mesterhazypinetum
    12 years ago

Will,
    I'd like to visit there with a big truck!
    Zsolt

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Not so fast with the truck: assorted common serious quality issues are evident, including under-potting, root-bound root-stocks and under-fertilization. Those luscious bluish forms could be even bluer.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the blue ones bboy, those just leap out at me like crazy. The orange in the third image was like a magnet too. Those kind of colors just really attract my attention.

Sad to think it's a dead one Will, ah well. :/ A few others in the mix are as well. But it does happen. As we all know!

~Tina

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Ron, I don't think those judgements can be passed without seeing the product. Its just an image...color could be off on Will's camera for all we know.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Bboy. He's a gardenweb forum troll who while occasionally posting useful information, largely posts negative, biased crap and pisses off forum go'ers. I'd love to see dcsteg and him go at it, deathmatch 2000 style! The next positive thing he says will be the first I have seen.

Nothing was done to the photos and things looked fine both in person and the photos. I wouldn't have driven hours to visit a tree nursery I thought had lousy offerings. Regarding the pots, Jason and I had a discussion about root systems and we both agreed that in many circles people overreact about root conditions, particularly in the case of very small plants. Nevertheless, I think you'll find the roots from Western Evergreen's nursery in fine shape.

Moving on, as this is the easiest way to deal with Trolls, here are a few photos of a potential future introduction:

Pinus heldreichii [Bosnian Sunrise].

Candles in May.

July.

Autumn.

Closeup.

I've asked Jason to share photos and more info about potential new releases, both to receive feedback and let collectors make wishlists.

-Will

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice Sunrise!

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the Sunrise one Will, I'm really hoping Jason does provide access to some of these you've been gifted. Truly, you are blessed. :)

Gotcha about trollin' ;)

~Tina

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Wow Will, that's a very nice Pinus heldreichii [Bosnian Sunrise]!
    I never came across such one with this special needle colour.
    Do you know if this one was found as a seedling or as a branch mutation?
    Also thanks for the other pics!
    I'm glad that mother nature is giving us new toys every once and a while :0)

• Cher
    12 years ago

That Sunrise is gorgeous. I bet just about everyone on here is going to add that to their wish lists.
    Cher

• dansgrdn
    12 years ago

Wow, Nice!!! Bosnian pines are some of my favorites and this cultivar looks like a definite winner. Hope to pick one up, if and when it becomes available. Thanks for posting the photos Will.

Dan

• wendans
    11 years ago

Old thread but need to know what is the internet address for Western Evergreen nursery??? Thanks.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

At first I thought, what a dumb question but google doesn't get a hit if you include the term nursery. Somewhat strange.

The search term Western Evergreen gives you the top hit though.

www.westernevergreen.com

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Nice job Will !

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Hey Will, can you tell me what the cream tipped plant in the foreground is in your third shot? It pushes like a 'Dent' but its needles look like Abies pinsapo. I've never seen a pinsapo that pushes cream.

mark

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heya Mark,

That's just Abies pinsapo 'Aurea'. It pushes new growth that is frosted gold by any sun exposure.

-Will

• Conifer K(7b GA)
    6 years ago

Does anyone know why they don't add photos to their website?

• bamboo_nuts
    6 years ago

He manages mostly his website by himself I guess. I don't think he has time to post the pictures.

• Sara Malone (Zone 9b)
    6 years ago

He's kind of a one-man show. Not a computer type. I'm going to visit next ,month, who knows what I'll see!

• Chuck
    6 years ago

I recently ordered some plants from western evergreen and I must say they were all quality plants! Ik sometimes the website might be tougher to navigate but if you email him he gets back promptly. Definetly would recommend ordering from him!