Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea abies 'Dandylion'

This is a newer offering from Bob Fincham/Coenosium Gardens and was one of his hybrids from Picea abies 'Acracona' x Picea abies 'Gold Drift'. All exhibit some level of gold, many are weeping and some have cones as well, ala 'Acracona'. This is one of the faster growing plants, doesn't seem to burn in full sun and makes terminal cones.

Bob sold me one of his early plants and I proudly grow it in my gardens.

2011 - Early push.

2011 - Late Summer.

2012 - New push, bright colors though I was using the 'vibrant' feature of my camera. Probably doesn't quite look this neon!

2012 - Hardened foliage and true colors.

2013 - Autumn. Growing upwards for sure but most of the branches are pendulous, a little bit like Picea abies 'Formanek'.

It did try and cone.

Bob's original specimen, photo from 2012, so this specimen is probably at least ten years old.

-Will

Comments (11)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Sure is a beauty! These selections are top notch. What I love about them is that they DO NOT burn in full sun.

Dave's 'Anita's Golden Cloak' threw out a few cones this year in my garden!

The others haven't but they all have their unique habit and that gold frosting.

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

I just love these gold weepers. No burn in full sun and cones too! What more could you ask for.

Thanks for the great pics!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Wow!:) I love all these Bob Fincham golden abies from his golden seedling collection. And this one is wonderful! This is my dream - ever get one of those.....

Ireena

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

doesn't seem to burn in full sun

==>> if i were garen .. i would not compare midwest INDIANA full sun .. to the PNW ... it MIGHT have to do with full sun and cool nights .. a recovery period lets call it.. that we in the midwst dont have .. especially in july/august ... but then the burn doesnt show until after winter burn ... something about those blistering winter winds and all ....

and i dont mean to knock this specific plant .... i have no experience with it ..... its just.. as a hosta grower ... my radar always goes up ... when regional claims of sun tolerance are mentioned ....

i would suggest that it remains to been seen as to its sun tolerance ..... until its been garden tested in more diverse regions .......

should bob wish such.. he can send me a plant for long term observation ... .. lol .. i am just kidding ... momma said its not becoming to beg ... and i listened to momma..

ken

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Hey Ken,

Good news, I have started the Midwest test already. I have had one of Bob's gold seedling selection, Picea abies 'Summer Daze', in the ground now for two full summers. It is situated in full blistering sun from dusk till dawn and not a single needle has burnt. I am quite surprised as many of my other young gold plants that are known to eventually take full sun as they gain more root mass have all burnt one way or another. Some even with a little shading. This one is a trooper and has even withstood extended high temps over 100 F.

This won't account for all of Bob's gold seedling selections as the other selections vary on their tolerance, but as for 'Summer Daze' it's bulletproof for me in Southern Indiana.

No cones yet but it's still just a baby.

Picea abies 'Summer Daze' - Photo taken May 30 2013
    {{gwi:608211}}

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I have a few cultivars and no burning in full sun. All of them where young plants and had the ever so slightest burning last year when we had 50+ days in the 90s and several days in the 100s.

Nothing this year.

âÂÂHoney PotâÂÂ
    'Lemon Flare'
    'Anita's Golden Cloak'
    'Catherine's Golden Heart'
    'Tawny Dream' - new addtion but expect the same performance

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I remember correctly, Bob told me that the cultivars with the word "Lemon" in their name are a bit more prone to burn, ala Picea abies 'Vermont Gold' and should get a little shade from hot afternoon sun. I have a few of these cultivars in half day sun and they are a purty gold color and no burn. I haven't experimented with hot sun with any of them.

The cultivars WITHOUT "Lemon" in the name are more akin to Picea abies 'Gold Drift' which might burn a little at first but with age won't burn even in some of the hottest sun.

I'm very glad to see such interest in these beauties, Bob did a great thing for the conifer world with these introductions.

-Will

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

These plants actually burn less around here because of the humidity.

'Lemon Flare' doesn't burn in 11 hours of sun in SE WI. But I did read the same that you've mentioned above about the Lemon named cultivars. Sure he could pipe in if necessary.

'Vermont Gold' does burn a little bit in 7 hours of sun for me.

• 123cococo
    10 years ago

So the more humid the climate the less burn in full sun?

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'm sure sun intensity and temperatures will impact it was well.

Garen's is probably the best example of the plants ability to resist burning in more hot, humid climates.

• alpestris
    10 years ago

Looking forward to the first cone one day! Recently acquired at the ACS meeting at Bob's. The spot receives a good dose of sun, southern exposure, tucked away for any late afternoon rare PNW scorchers.