Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larix laricina broom propagation ?

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 21:31

Larix laricina is very common tree in my region and over the years I`ve come across several large loose growing brooms, but this one stopped me in my tracks with its compact fullness. Downsizing has deteriorated the image quality, though it shows a lovely dense feathery habit. I first spied this broom about three weeks ago, when at the time, its darker shade of green had stood out against the mother tree. I'm pretty good with most types of grafting, though not so much with conifers, especially when they require an extended period of time to callus under particular conditions. What about cuttings?

photo IMG_7533_zps1b20f61b.jpg

Terry

This post was edited by twrosz on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 12:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larix laricina broom propagation ?

Terry, that's an awesome broom. I've never heard of Larix actually working from cuttings but it's a real easy graft. If you don't feel up to the task, I can guarantee that scores of grafters will be contacting you momentarily to ask for cuttings. An honorable grafter will provide you some finished plants in exchange for the scionwood.

January/February is prime time for grafting conifers. Will this broom be assessable around that time?

~Dave

o

i can find you someone who will graft it ..... and give you a few on return...

seriously .... rooting it????

use my member page to find me.. which means .. hit my highlighted name ..

crikey man... woman??? ...... [its hard to guess on the name????? ] ... see link .....

whatever you are... you aint alone out there?????? .. we have resources.. ..... .... dax??? ... Canada grafter?????

ken

ps: i think darren is the resource in canada.... but who knows......??????

darren whats his name ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Hey, Dave, good to know it`s an easy graft, I LIKE those types! I had come across some reading regarding rooting laricina, I guess it can be done, though I`ll stick to grafting after what you`ve mentioned ... now, side grafting or ...

Ken, yes, I`m familiar with Darren, previously he had done a fine job of grafting a few of my selections. Possibly, this new broom will be desirable enough to do up in quantity, I look forward knowing what others think.

Terrance :)

This post was edited by twrosz on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 23:34

o

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 8:06

Wow! What a beautiful broom...and that species would survive and grow here in Finland too. I would love to trade with you. I could send you scions of larix sibirica broom(not as beautiful as yours though).

o

Hi Terrance,

Picea glauca 'Terry's Variegated' is doing well, here. I finally moved it from a mostly-shady temporary bed to a bit more sun about a month 1/2 ago. How are your plants/plant of it doing? I've one shoot that isn't variegated that I'll be removing, otherwise, its variegation is very good & very stable.

No Larix here this winter. Darren Heimbecker always does a fine job though and he always returns the favor. Nice find!

Dax

o

Jarpe, yes, larix laricina is exceedingly hardy and would grow well in your climate.

Dax, my two specimens of 'Terry's Variegated' have strong tendency to revert, I hope that yours will continue to do otherwise.

The below link should better show the larix broom

Here is a link that might be useful: Larix broom

o

Hi Terry,

I'm real glad I asked. It appears it's going to take many years of grafting to remove occurring reversions and to stabilize it. I know Picea orientalis 'Gowdy Gold' took 10-years, minimum, for it to become stable.

Thanks and best of luck with that larch.

Dax

o

Hi Terry, that's a nice broom indeed.

Unfortunately it can not be propagated by cuttings, I can assure you that.

Propagating by grafting won't be easy because you're grafting from the original broom at the first place.
The scions are very thin and don't contains much energy and are full of fungusses because of the dead needles which are sticking in there.
But the ones which are successful grafted will serve as good mother plants for a furthur propagation, because scions taken from these plants are much thicker and full of energy.

I hope I helped you with this info.

o

Hi Terry -
Very nice L. laricina broom discovery - congratulations !
In 2006 I found a L. laricina in the wild with a strongly fastigiate / columnar form & fairly dense branching.
After showing this discovery to hort. experts who encouraged propagation, in 2008 I collected a hundred or so cuttings & these were grafted - approx. 90% were successful. The grafting was done by others.
In the past 6 years the evaluation of these plants has seemed positive and I'm excited to be working with propagation experts to move this L. laricina discovery forward.
If you want contact information for those who helped me move my Larix discovery along, send me an email.
Good Luck ! Peter

o

Peter,
Some photos are welcome !
Clement

o

Peter, I have sent you a private message. I have been in contact with a major US conifer producer and informed of the rather poor performance of many of the compact selections of larix laricina. Though, the genetics of each is different and I still look to have this one grafted.

Peter, I'd also love to see a photo of your upright laricina specimen, though if the plant is to be marketed, there might be some privacy issues at this time. I have some perennial selections being trialed for possible release and understand this matter.

Terrance

o

Here is some information on rooting Larix cuttings.

http://www.rngr.net/publications/tree-improvement-proceedings/neftic/1959/the-propagation-of-larix-from-soft-wood-cuttings/at_download/file

I found a very well written procedubfor rooting cutting that produced 70% success rates. I'll look for that too.

o

Here is the other article, it worked well for the few L. laricina cutting I tried a few years ago.

Propagation of Western Larch by Stem Cuttings
Authors: Edson, John L.; Wenny, David L.; Fins, Lauren
Source: Western Journal of Applied Forestry, Volume 6, Number 2, 1 April 1991 , pp. 47-49(3)
Publisher: Society of American Foresters

o
Columnar Larix laricina

I'm posting a photo of the columnar Larix laricina that I found sev. yrs ago in the wild which I described on Nov 3 - enjoy !
Peter

o

Peter, that's a very nice fastigiate form!
In January 2011 during a witches' broom hunting expedition we also discovered a simular slender form we named 'Spike'.
I'll post a pic soon!

Also several tamarack brooms and a weeping form were found at that time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamarack brooms

o
RE: Larix laricina

Thanks for the compliment coniferjoy !
I'd love to see a 'Spike' photo - great name by the way !

Was 'Spike' a L. laricina or some other species ? Curious since your name indicates you might reside in the Netherlands and my understanding of L. laricina native range is that it is limited to North America as per this map from the US Dept. of Ag's National Resources Conservation Service's plants database (http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=LALA).

I've been dreaming up some possible catchy names for my plant should it continue to prove worthy of further propagation via the evaluation period we are now in with the 6 year old grafted small trees - its a fun process.
Peter
Madison, Wisconsin

o

Peter, the 'Spike' is a cultivar of Larix laricina which was found in the upper peninsula of the Michigan State.
It was found during a witches' broom expedition in that area.
Also the weeping one will have a great future as a low graft which will be staked for a couple of years, but it can be grafted on a high standert as well for it's very nice hanging characteristics.

Can you show me a pic of your 6 year old grafted specimen, I'm very curious how it will look like.
I hope it will have the same beautiful characteristics as the motherplant is showing.

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 7:17

o

Larix laricina 'Spike' (2 year old graft)
 photo LarixlaricinaSpike_zpse606db00.jpg

o

Thanks coniferjoy for sharing the photo of L. laricina 'Spike' - very interesting to see. The grafts we have propagated from my discovery are in another state and I've asked for some recent photos of them - the only ones I have are of the successful grafts immediately after the buds broke that first spring.
I'll post a pic when I get some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here