Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitababy

Tops leaning on newly planted arborvitaes

kitababy
9 years ago

We just planted 25 Green Emerald arborvitaes. They have been in the ground one week, and I am noticing the tops are starting to lean over. One tree looks like it has had snow weight on it, with how the top is splayed out. They are getting plenty of water. I knew they would have some shock from planting. Will they snap out of this or should I be doing something for them? They also look like they are browning on the bottom. We brought in new soil just for the trees... It was a mixture of mushroom compost and was supposed to be great for planting trees. ( is what we were told) Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It was suggested I post to this forum for help. I am really worried we might start losing them , it took us a while to save up to purchase these trees. I have stopped watering, but now we are getting rain starting tomorrow. What should I do to save them? Also it looks like they are in raised beds but they aren't. We loosened up the ground where the trees would sit, then brought in the nice soil for them.
Thank you, Andrea

Comments (12)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

They look pretty healthy to me. The little bit of browning I see looks like normal seasonal needle drop. This happens with Thuja ("Arbs") each fall. Just about everyone on this forum would agree that there is no need to amend the soil, using the original soil, plus 20% max amended soil mixed together would have been ideal, but having used compost is fine. Arbs are very forgiving, which is why they are the most common conifer sold at big box stores.

The most critical thing you need to figure out is the water situation. I see some drip lines, but have you tested how much water you are putting down to the roots? Do you know how quickly your soil drains? have you physically checked the moisture level at the roots by inserting your finger to the 2nd knuckle? If not, that is the most critical thing you need to do. Also, dig a 1x1 ft hole nearby (not too close) to these trees. Fill it with water and let it drain. Then fill it again and time how long it takes for the water to drain. This will help you visualize how long the water is sitting in the roots of your trees.

Again, Arbs are forgiving with over watering, but if you are really overdoing it, they will drown, especially if you have clay soil. As far as the leaning, just get some green twin and wrap it around the outside. If didn't mention your location, but if you get significant snow fall, you are going to need to get in the habit of wrapping every one of these in late fall, otherwise these multi-leader arbs will splay out and need to be permanently tied together or look terrible. It's much better to pro-actively wrap them.

Good luck, they seem healthy. Just confirm the watering situation and you should be fine... and NO fertilizer.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Original thread is at the link below ..

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread

• kitababy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the reply and information. Fortunately we do not get a lot of snow, just rain. I have dug down a bitwith my hand and the soil is moist. I will dig a hole as you suggested and see how well it drains. Any thoughts on why they are leaning, do you think it is shock? They have been in the ground one week on Sunday.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Based on the original thread info, It is very likely they are being vastly over watered. Conifers like a quick drink, then near drying before the next watering. If you water daily, that introduces root rot. The only way to know for sure is to figure out how much water is being put out by the soaker and how fast its draining. Certainly transplant shock could be playing a role too

• kitababy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have stopped watering, and tonight after work tonight I will dig down and see if the soil is moist. I had read somewhere online that I needed to water every day and soak them. (so I did) So if they pull out of this.....when should I fertilize them and with what kind? Everyone on this site has been very helpful, I can't thank you enough.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

NEVER fert them ...

unless you built your raised bed with sterile soil ... and a soil test indicates there is something missing from said soil ...

IMHO ... they will never need fert .. ever ...

you ... on some level .. are trying to love these things to death ... first too much water.. and now thinking they are babies that need to be fed .. they arent

the ONLY thing you need perfect ... for next season.. is proper watering ... and after next year ... they wont even need that.. except.. maybe in a severe drought the following year ... see link for watering wisdom ...

i am still baffled by how that one was damaged.. bending 90 degrees.. that was not a water issue.. IMHO ...

just dont forget.. they are trees ... and i am presuming you are surrounded by hundreds of miles of trees .. that no one gives a hoot about ... and those prosper ...

your only real concern... is getting them past the insult you inflicted on them.. that being the transplant ... and once they are fully ESTABLISHED ... over the transplant stress.. they will need absolutely nothing from you ... most such plants.. should be all set.. by next fall ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kitababy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have taken all your advise into consideration.... I have stopped watering sine rain has taken over. I have dug down to check roots and they are moist ( not wet) and my soul drains very well. But my trees are turning brown and I wanted to know your thoughts... Thank you, Andrea

• kitababy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pictures

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

I have lost a fair amount of trees since I began collecting. If there is one thing I have learned, its that you can't simply will a plant to live. If you have corrected the watering, then that's all you can do. Stay consistent, try and ignore them, stressing over it will cause you to "pamper" the trees, and that is not what they need. If they live, great. If the die, you did the best you could....money is just paper. Any warranty from the nursery?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

your trees.. look pretty good..

if you are only focused down at ground level.. that damage was probably caused when they were dug out of they field.. they spent the last 5 or so years in ... prune it out next spring. if not new growth appears on those parts ... it will fill back in ...

otherwise ..... they just look dusty ... in these pix ...

first sign of a bad problem.. is yellowing .. interior normal.. exterior bad.. and i simply dont see that ...

you need to relax and see how they do thru winter... i doubt you will get a more definitive answer ... its all any of us can do ... with any transplants ...

ken

• kitababy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both......I am going to try and ignore then.....maybe just glance at them from time to time. :). Going to check with the nursery on Monday just so they know now that we could have an issue.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Problems that begin so soon after planting are typically due to a cultural or environmental cause of some kind.
    Often, the contributory element is water. Either too much or too little.
    And most often, water that is or is not in the rootball.
    Once the plant goes in the ground, it must be watered more often than when it was in the pot. Just as it was when it was in the pot, the water must go into the original rootball.

The surrounding soil or planting mix should have been moist before the shrubs were set in place.
    Followup irrigation for the next several months should concentrate on the original rootball because that's where the roots are, and only occasional add water to the surrounding soil

Guideline: Stick your finger it it, be that the rootball or surrounding soil, to determine if water is needed.

Oh yes, rainfall is likely to be of little help early on.
    This is because the rain drips from the tips of the branches. As a result, the rootball is *not* moistened unless you do it.

The problem is *not * a disease. Especially *not* Berckmann's blight, as was suggested elsewhere. Your plants are *not* the kind that get Berckmann's blight.