Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidinga

Planting Green Giant Thujas

davidinga
9 years ago

My 14 Green Giant Thujas arrived from Botanyshop.com yesterday - they look really healthy - not sticks like trees I've received from other sources.

Their instructions say to use Round-Up to kill all grass in the area because it can kill the trees - I really don't want to use poison.

I can mix-up some vinegar, Epsom salt, & dish soap - which is supposed to kill grass as well.

Also, the soil in one location is packed clay, so I thought I'd dig a larger hole & add some topsoil & add some fish fertilizer to give the roots a better chance to thrive early-on then cover with the original soil & mulch.

What do y'all think of all of that, please?

BTW1: It was 85F here today but is supposed to cool-down a bit this week.

BTW2: I have recently done the same with 5 olive trees (doing well after 2 weeks), 2 hazelnut trees & 2 almond trees (a few days ago), & plan to do so with 10 burning bush hedges tomorrow - unless someone says it's a real bad idea.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see planting guide ... follow it in regard to amending [NOT] ... planting in clay.. etc ...

put the pots in full shade until weather/temps is more conducive ... just because you got your hands on them.. does not mean its a good time to plant ....

in the mean time.. dig out the grass ... for the planting holes ... we can remove grass in between plants later ....

ken

• davidinga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Here's the problem with "see planting guide" ...

I've read several planting guides & they disagree with one-another.

One says amend, the other to not amend.

One says some root fertilizer is good in poor soil the other says don't.

One says kill all the grass, another doesn't mention it, you say deal with it later.

One says plant any time, you say certain times are better, but what are they?

It was 67F here 10AM this morning, now it's 71F - a big drop from 85F and should stay low and generally get lower over time - but then it is Fall.

I've read elsewhere that cooler weather encourages root vs above-ground growth, which is better for the long-term health of a tree, is that true of the Thuja's?

What's a Thuja-newbie to do?

Thanks!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

God i hate when i forget the link ...

you asked my opinion ... i gave it ...

85 degrees is NEVER a good time to plant ...

holding them a week or two ... in shade... will probably mean... temps in the 70s ... and cooler at night ... just less transplant stress... and a little time to get over shipping stress ....

take a drive thru your greater area... how many of the HUGE trees do you see... that were NOT amended at planting ... and a vast majority of them probably self seeded [i am not talking suburbia here] ... in native soil ... there is nothing inherently wrong with clay ... the problem is... us.. transplanting improperly into clay.. and then killing them thru improper watering or amending.. or fert'g ... etc ... we add all the variables on transplant.. and then wonder why ma nature fails.. she doesnt.. we do ....

the idea that these are some kind of babies which requires coddling.. is nonsense ..

and its when we start coddling them ... that we add all kinds of variables.. that simply complicate the whole deal ...

if you amend a hole.. in bad clay.. ts possible ..... the tree.. will simply wind its root around.. and around.. and around.. in the amended soil ...

if you plant in native soil... they are forced to deal with it ... and with proper planting.. and watering.. they can deal with it ...

and not being babies.. they will most likely never need to be fed.. nor diapered.. nor educated ... etc ...

treat them like the trees they are .... plant them like trees plant themselves.. and you will be well on your way.. to growing a plant.. that can deal with your native conditions.... of which.. i am presuming GGs are ????

and... if they are within feet of a fertilized lawn .... soon enough.. will will have roots out there.. stealing anything they may need ...

just like painting.. prep is 95% of the job .... now that you have your plants.. you have the other 95% to do ...

remove 3 inches of sod ..... dig a hole... and plant tree according to the link above ... high in bad clay ... and water properly ..

BTW.. have you ever perked you soil???? ... perhaps your clay isnt as bad as you think... dig a hole .. fill it with water.. and find out.. how long it takes to drain .... then plant accordingly ...

we like this planting guide.. because it is written by one of our own .. though most peeps dont admit they know brandon.. lol .... and it encapsulates what we all believe... its not worth this very col typing.. to have an exoteric discussion on all the other website you have seen ...

this whole amendment thing.. started by nursery sales peeps.. wanting to increase their profit.. by selling you not only the tree... but all the high profit amendments.... its like the car dealer wanting to sell you undercoating.. warranties... etc ... why do we tell them no.. but cant help ourselves with our baby trees ...

dont complicate your life ...

ken

• davidinga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you both for the clarifications!

I have printed, bookmarked, copy/pasted and saved those instructions for future reference.

Sure appreciate the efforts of everyone to share the wealth of knowledge.

David in GA

• davidinga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it took so long to post this ...

Got 'em planted as instructed and so far they all look good - even despite some inconsistent watering due to failures in used supply & soaker hose.

Will post pictures when there are signs of growth ...

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations