Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling' vs. 'Firefly'

sc77 (6b MA)
9 years ago

I know 'Firefly' is all the rage this year, but how exactly does it differ from 'Iseli Seedling', which I know Will has been growing for 4+ years now (Four years of Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling'). This plant has been high on my list since I saw this post.

After comparing the two, I felt like I leaned toward 'Iseli Seedling', but I know many others are going for 'Firefly'. @Davesconifers - I think you mentioned you had 'Firefly' on order for this fall as well. How did you choose it over 'Iseli Seeding'

Both are listed at 3-6" p/year. 'Firefly' seems maybe more upright and dense? Not sure about if one handles full sun better than the other, or if coloration is brighter? Also, I am clear that these are indeed two separate cultivars, and have a clear understanding of where 'Iseli Seedling' originated from, so no debate there.

Thanks,
Shawn

Comments (7)

• bamboo_nuts
    9 years ago

Shawn,
    Based on the link that you provided and based on Ed's blog (see the link), I gather that they are the same plant from Iseli.
    Sam seems to know better because in the link he also posted the original plant from Iseli. At the time of his post, Iseli names the plant as "Skylands #1 Seedling", then Iseli released the plants, and named it "Firefly".
    The Firefly. I saw at a local nursery. does get sunburn at the top (leader and some top branches), but no sign of sunburn on the lower part of the plant.
    It is such a beautiful plant. The color is exactly the Tom Thumb Gold.
    J.N

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@J.N - Thanks for the first hand description of 'Firefly'. I have not yet seen either cultivar in person.

However, these two cultivars are different. I am certain of that. The 'Iseli Seedling' that Will displayed was obtained at ACS auction by Don Howse. A bunch of these unnamed seedlings were handed out at the auction, which was a bad choice by iseli. It has caused a lot of confusion in the trade. Don gave some scions to Bob Finchman, and that's where Will obtained his plant displayed in the "4 years thread".

Iseli confirmed that they never gave out any of what later became 'Firefly'. But as many as 10 other variety of 'Iseli Seedling xx' are making the rounds, causing a lot of confusion.

Hope that helps. If I misrepresented anything, hopefully someone will chime in and correct.

• bamboo_nuts
    9 years ago

Shawn,
    Good info.
    Now it makes sense to me too because what I saw is a bit slower than what Will described his plant. The new growth on the side is about 2 inches and at the leader is about 3-4 inches and it looks slimmer than the plant Will has.
    Heck⦠I'm going to get it next week. Let it burn and see if it can handle full sun better when it became mature. Can resist the temptation :-). What a plant.
    Thanks Shawn!
    J.N

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

I picked up a 'Firefly' last weekend. Slight burn while at the nursery.

This post was edited by alley_cat on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 19:05

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Heres an 'Iseli Seedling' thats been growing in its location for about 2 1/2 years. Growth rate seems to be half of the firefly, but way to early for a fair comparison. Again poor photo.....sorry

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Heres a 'Tom Thumb'....about an inch annually.

Al

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that's awesome Al! You are probably one of an elite few that are growing both cultivars side-by-side. After thinking about those growth rates, I think I too will try to find a local nursery selling 'Firefly' next fall. I'm not aware of anyone selling 'Iseli Seedling' at the size of the 'Firefly' you picked up... Not sure I have the patients to start with a BP from Conifer Kingdom... Thanks again, great info.