Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturegirl_2007

Growing Sequoiadendron giganteum from seed and cuttings

I've been offered cones from a specimen that has been growing in Michigan for over 50 years and looks great. How should the cones and seeds be processed, stored, and planted to give the best chance at seedlings in the future?

Also, is cloning more likely to give reliable results? When should cuttings be taken? Any reference material you can suggest for someone who has never grown cuttings of conifers?

I do grow lots of veggies, herbs, and flowers from seed and cuttings with great success...but I'm not sure that is going to help much with giant sequoia growing.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

look to the link for a discussion on potting media ... adjust to the needs of your specific plant ...

i have lived in MI for 50 years .... where is the momma tree ...

being such a unique specimen for MI ... i wonder what could have crossed with it ... or if its therefore selfed??? .... have you verified actual seed in the cones????

the ONLY way to insure you get the proclivities of momma.. is to clone momma ... there is nothing to say that seed she produced... even if selfed.. wont have some genetic throwback ... but if one of the gurus say otherwise... i will defer ....

i think they do root .. others will advise on that ... i would do both ways ... to increase your odds of success ...

do you have a greenhouse available???

do you have any professional conifer friends.. who might be willing to do it for you ... perhaps for a price.. or part of the haul???

any chance at some pics of momma???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

10 years ago

i have no direct experience ... with your plant

here is how i did some cuttings.. indoors.. adrian mi .. in winter .. under lights.. with a heating pad at 72 or 76 degrees [its a cheap preset model] ....in perlite.. with rooting compound .. 2 year old wood ... EVERYTHING sterilized prior [i presume brand new gallon baggies are sterile inside] .. including the perlite since its been sitting in the polebarn for 10 years .

best success with juniper and thuja green giants ....

there you go.. everything in a nutshell ... nummy..nuts.. lol ...

ken

ps: note the dates on the pix ...

pps: the heating pad.. is mostly for when the furnace.. at night .... kicks down to 65 .. the cuttings stay warm ... that 72ish tempo.. must be maintained ... think hydroponics stores ... or beer brewing suppliers.. they use it to germinate the barley ....nummm.. barley .. lol ... i think i better have something to eat before i go to the grocer ....

note dax's ROS sticks ...
    {{gwi:5067}}

they are under the lowest tray ...
    {{gwi:3461}}

by spring.. potted into water bottles... by fall into the ground .. or dead.. lol ... if you think 15 to 20 per milk jug... and see how many are under the lights.. you can see.. it wasnt a big success ... but the peeps who got them.. were thrilled ....[dax.. you awake??.. you got a few thrown in a box.. didnt you].... i did it for the learning ... as usual... i lost focus in late winter when i started going outside in the spring type weather.. and forgot about them for 6 weeks until may .... they did not appreciate going bone dry ....
    {{gwi:642092}}

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll be visiting "momma" and a couple of her smaller kin this weekend. I'll see what additional info I can get...photos, history, etc. I've heard an expert had success with cuttings, but no one has reported successful seed germination...not sure of the expertise of those who tried seeds.

The trees are within a few hundred yards of Lake Michigan which may moderate temperature extremes, affect humidity, etc, and aid overall health health and survival. Hmmm, "near Lake Michigan" might aid my overall health and survival, too :)

Ken, your huge collection of starts has me thinking I should increase the number of "tries" I had planned....yet keep the number such that I'll give good care to them and not have them take over my house completely...like that has never happened with any plants! And yes, there is a possibility of a small amount of greenhouse space, but not with bells and whistles and not where I can visit every day or two...maybe I'll try some at home and some there...hmmm...lots of bits to ponder before starting this experiment.

Also, I have a heated germination mat used mainly for pepper, eggplant, and tomato seed germination. It's not adjustable but should be available from now til March when the hot peppers get started and the Solanaceas take over the house! Sounds like sequoias might be a good plant fix and learning experience for this winter.

10 years ago

ok...

you got the mat ... BTW.. i do this in the basement.. and that is why maintaining EVEN heat in winter is even more important ...

i presume you can get the milk jugs ... if not from a neighbor ... gallon bag fits perfectly over such...

i used 4 lamps ... higher light intensity ... on 16 hours.. off 8.. with on on/off cycle ... said to confuse plants into thinking the lights are on 24/7... but i dont pay for the electric ...

though you want to maintain warmth.. you dont want to cook them ... that is another reason the mat worked in the basement.. besides.. heat rises.. so i used it again.. when it came upstairs ....

perlite is up to you ... i got a 20 pound bag once from a high end nursery.. it was half as big as my car.. lol .. enough for a lifetime...

as i was driving around town.. something else came to mind.. and it hasnt popped back yet .. lol ...

i hope others chime in with their versions ..

ken

• botann
    10 years ago

After looking at my rooting setup, my neighbor started rooting a lot of conifers. He managed to root a Sequoiadendron giganteum, 'Pendulum' with a misting system on a timer and bottom heat. All done outside, like my system. (Zone 8) I've never tried them, especially now that I know I can't grow them for long because of the Sapsuckers.
    Mike