Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Did I find a sport like Dax?

monkeytreeboy15
11 years ago

Well, I was just strolling through the garden this week, and I happened upon two different branches on Thuja plicata 'Stoneham Gold'. The typical foliage of the tree has gold-frosted tips where the sun shines, with an emerald green color on the shaded surfaces.

However, these two particular branches were covered with varying patches of solid gold and solid green--a definite variegation.. When I saw them, I was immediately reminded of Dax's good fortune with his Thujas. I was just curious to hear other's feedback on these interesting branches!

Worth propagating?

Sport 1:

Sport 2:

-Sam

Comments (18)

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Variegation's on Thuya and lawson are fairly common, always worth a go with propagation, but most are unstable and don't become anything, but you never know your luck!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Give them a go Sam. They look good. Anything solid green sprays on the sports, remove it prior to sticking. You want to try to isolate the variegated parts only. Watch for fungus and spray as needed.

Dax

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Not possible to find a sport like Dax because he's one of a kind!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    11 years ago

Barb - you beat me to it LOL
    Marshall

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Too funny!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dax, how about your finds, are they still alive and made some roots allready?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

No roots.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, guys!
    Happy New Year.
    I'm taking these cuttings today and rooting them early next week.
    Any advice in preserving them until I get them rooted would be appreciated!
    Thank you.

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

In a ziplock with a piece of paper towel lightly ran under the sink and then every bit of water humanly possible squeezed from it and wadded up so it's the size of a small marble and toss that in the bag. Add air. Never remove air. You want your bag to have some/a decent amount of air.

Bring a cooler with you when you collect. In the midwest with snow, some guys use buckets while they're out and about collecting wood. They'll just throw a little snow in the bottom of the bucket. Those guys also keep the buckets in the back of a truck with a closed cab with no heat.

Label the bag before you toss the cuttings in. That's #1.

Then for a car ride, into your cooler with ice or ice packs and then into your refrigerator until you're ready to stick them. You always have to keep them cool and provide a little bit of moisture. And always squeeze every bit of water you can from the paper towel pieces. Always!

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax, thank you for this valuable information.
    I took one of the variegated branches as a cutting yesterday and refrigerated it until today when I had a 4-hour journey to my new home in Oregon. Having no ice chest, I improvised by taking wads of frozen moss and packing them with ice packs and frozen mulch. Seemed to do the trick because it looks alive and well in my refrigerator now!

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I hope you get it going! It's choice. Keep records of which cultivar it came off of if applicable.

Enjoy your new home, Sam.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sport#1 from Thuja plicata 'Stoneham Gold' will be called
    Thuja plicata 'Yellow Freckles'. It has been grafted by Eric Bizon. A picture he sent of the finished product is below.

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That's smart to graft it Sam. Getting it going the easiest route with less mistakes is (smart).

Later cuttings may be obtained and rooted.

Excellent stuff.

Dax

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

What is the understock? T. plicata? or orientalis?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Platycladus, Zsolti.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I believe he used Thuja occidentalis.. I will check.

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

hmm, a west coast grower not using Platycladus.... I'm shocked!

Dax

• schrauwen1951
    11 years ago

hi Sam
    I thought you can't graft a Thuja plicata on a occidentalis
    Peter

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022