Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sluice

pine ID and abies concolor

sluice
12 years ago

Was driving by a local park last week and saw this fine pine.

At first I thought it was flexilis, but found a few cones on the ground that were longer than the typical flexilis I see around here.

Cone pics to follow sometime. Maybe strobiformis?

Here is it's companion, abies concolor.

Another abies concolor, spotted while out on a bike ride yesterday.

Comments (11)

• aspenacres
    12 years ago

Western White Pine? Beautiful white firs by the way. I love how the lower branches are growing right to the ground.

• severnside
    12 years ago

I have no clue as to where there would be a full sized concolor in this country so thanks for posting pics to appreciate this beautiful tree. Lovely crisp sky in #3.

• sluice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, concolor is a fantastic tree!

Here are the pine cones.
    The smaller ones on the bottom are from a flexilis in the mountain forests near Como, CO.
    The longer ones are from the park pine.

A seed popped out of one of the longer cones, I'll get a comparison pic of that too.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Pinus reflexa (Engelm.) Engelm. (native to AZ & NM; syn. P. strobiformis auct. non Engelm.)

Resin

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Pinus flexilis, Pikes Peak, Colorado:

Pinus reflexa, Santa Catalina Mts, Arizona:
    {{gwi:627202}}

Pinus strobiformis, El Salto, Durango, Mexico:

Note the increasing cone size and greater scale elongation, north to south.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Resin, why do you mention at first Pinus strobiformis as a synonym for Pinus reflexa and later on with the pics you mentioned them as differend species?
    Also the cones are differend...

• mesterhazypinetum
    12 years ago

Nate,
    my old flexilis in good soil looks like similar yours here, but you have too much pines in America, no tips.

Your Colorado firs are beautiful, specially the second one! I'm crazy of this clear habit and professional lines.
    Scions, please, and a good name. I saw this year a 25 meters Abies alba Pyramidalis at Etzelstorfer Gardens with the same habit! Nate, you catched the leg of God!

Etzelstorfer Gardens Abies alba Pyramidalis Mesterhazy & Etzelstorfer photo

Zsolt

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"Resin, why do you mention at first Pinus strobiformis as a synonym for Pinus reflexa and later on with the pics you mentioned them as differend species?
    Also the cones are differend..."

The lower cone is true P. strobiformis as described by Engelmann; the middle cone is P. reflexa, listed erroneously as "P. strobiformis" by various authors but not by Engelmann (hence the 'auct. non Engelm.').

Yes, they are different.

Resin

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"I have no clue as to where there would be a full sized concolor in this country so thanks for posting pics to appreciate this beautiful tree"

There is, or at least used to be, one 48 m tall at Cragside in Northumbs. Another is 44 m tall at Benmore BG in Argyll. Other smaller specimens in various gardens.

Resin

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I like the pine! Of course I like the concolors too. Having a true reflexa in my collection (non-blue) & grafted would be a nice addition to my tree collection. Nater, 2013 I'd like to graft that reflexa. I'll make note. Thank you.

Resin, love, love, love your cone pics! Always do. The information is incredible. Thanks!

Dax

• sluice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Resin, thanks for the explanation and pics. That definitely answers a lot of questions for me!

Zsolt, I'll add this one to the list. Nice alba, by the way!

Dax, 2013 sounds good.