Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

Picea abies 'Pendula' as a Groundcover

floramakros
11 years ago

Hi All, My last round of planting for the season will include a Picea abies 'Pendula'. My plan is to leave it unstaked and have it grow as a fascinating groundcover. Anyone have any experience growing it this way? How thick (tall) will it get and how large an area will it cover? Is it a slow or fast grower? Thanks for the info.

Comments (8)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

'Pendula' is a synonym for 'Reflexa'.

Last Summer I made a pic of it in a real rock garden in the Czech Republic.

Pinus heldreichii 'Pygmy' & Picea abies 'Reflexa' as a nice groundcover.
    {{gwi:839294}}

The same can be done with the Picea abies 'Gold Drift' which arose as a yellow branch mutation on a Picea abies 'Reflexa'.
    Last winter I took this pic at Coenosium Gardens, owned by Bob Fincham.
    Picea abies 'Gold Drift'
    {{gwi:640944}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

it has a tendency.. over the decades.. to heap upon itself.. and with its course texture.. i really dont think of it as a true groundcover ...

i think of groundcovers as 3 inches tall or so.. so that even minis could be planted nearby .. and they would compliment each other..

i guess what i am saying is that this one.. could swamp such .. making each look out of proportion ...

that said.. joy's pic is sublime .. and if you like it.. go for it ....

i guess .. when it boils down.. it the word you picked .. i think of groundCOVER.. as a very short blanket over the soil.. while i would differentiate.. a prostrate plant.. that also covers the soil ... but is much coarser ... whatever.. lol ...

whatever makes you happy is fine with me ...

good luck

ken

• abciximab
    11 years ago

Picea abies 'Pendula' Harper Collection Hidden Lake Gardens
    Pink flags were a voting system during ACS visit July 2012

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yeah.. so there.. that one looks 4 to 6 feet tall in the middle ... so.. in my warped world.. not quite a ground cover.. per se ... but dont get me wrong.. REALLY!!! cool ...

BTW.. jack wickle.. once told me.. that a lot of those HL specimens.. were planted as 3 plants way back when.. i have no specifics on this one

ken

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

I'm with ya on the definition of groundcover, Ken. Sometimes I'll be reading about some plant and the text will mention this plant's use as a groundcover. Then the stated eventual height will be 3 ft. or so. I'm like 'huh'?

Alright, I'm not really "like huh". But grouindcover plants in my world stay low to that ground....and cover it!

+oM

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The Harper plant is of course a 'Reflexa' also. 'Pendula' is universally (and incorrectly) used for this plant in commerce here. Botanical term var. pendula covers all weeping forms of Norway spruce.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

These are traditionally mounding prostrate growers if not staked for height. Better have a lot of room if grown on the flat.

I would not equate them with ground covers which creep/craw and root along the ground.

If you want to jump into the pungens cultivars 'Procumbens' is another example of a mounding prostrate grower that can also be staked for height. Much more preferable in my opinion but probably not in your zone. I have no idea. CA zones are all over the place.

Floramakros go for it if your CA Zone 8. is compatible for growing 'Reflexa'.

Dave

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for posting the great pics and for the advice. I'm definitely going to give it a go. You're right about the term groundcover, it covers everything from ground huggers to plants of bush height that spread laterally, like most English nursery terms it is very imprecise. The reason why I want to grow it this way is I already have plenty of staked weepers. I only have one "groundcover" Cedrus libani 'Sargentii' and I wanted another bigger one of interesting structure. I think those long green fingers will be amazing to watch crawl across the lawn, I can't wait!