blue_yew

Picea martinezii

blue_yew
13 years ago

A photo of Picea Martinezii a very rare Mexican spruce

Comments (13)

• pineresin
    13 years ago

Nice! Looks as though it could do with a bit more light.

Resin

PS remember to hit carriage return between the text and the image code ;-)

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Picea martinezii, my plant.
    Clément

• blue_yew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice there are only about 100 or so trees in the wild
    in canyons.Im glad there are a few in cultivation as
    seed was collected.

• conifer50
    12 years ago

A few of my more vigorous seedlings....2nd flush appears almost complete...seed "said" to have come from one of the more recently discovered stands!

Johnny

• flattie
    12 years ago

Are there any nurseries carrying this?

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Just a update on current growth progression. Oddly, no 'second flushes' on the 'terminals'. Seedlings are now in 3 gal. containers

Johnny

This post was edited by conifer50 on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 15:16

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Nice work Johnny, They look great.

Al

• Riverbanks1
    10 years ago

Hello all!

I am a horticulturalist with Riverbanks Zoo's Botanical Garden in Columbia, SC. I am researching species of conifer for a dwarf/specimen conifer garden here. I have been specifically looking for species that will survive our absolutely unrelenting heat and humidity in the summer. P. martinezii as well as P. chihuahuana seem to be good candidates for this - but I cannot find these species for sale anywhere. Where did you get these trees conifer50?

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverbanks Botanical Garden

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Hi Riverbanks,

Western Evergreen has P. chihuahuana seedlings that are to be potted up in I gal containers for retail sales, give them a try. Also another nursery which I can't recall name but maybe Fairfield/web member can chime in a give details to that source.

I've still have several Picea martinezii seedling in I gal pots and maybe I can part with one...you might also like to go with Picea torano

Johnny

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Those are rockin' Johnny.

Dax

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Hey Dax!

How's the "Cabin Fever" coming along? It's been "hell" on this end!!

Johnny

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Camellia Forest has the P. chihuahuana seedlings.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Terrible winter Johnny!! I collected scions yesterday for Alex and I was shocked that every other nordmann seedling and most all my Picea orientalis were burned. They'll be fine, but I haven't seen anything like that ever.

I didn't walk past the single survivor Picea torano of the (2) you sent a couple years ago but if I muster up the courage, I'll suit up and go look.

Good news is less ticks this coming year and significantly less Japanese beetles and a minor wipe out of Emerald Ash Borer. I've heard that up in MinnEsota they're expecting 75% of the EAB population to be killed.

Dax

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County