o
Picea martinezii

Posted by blue_yew Z9 SWE (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 5:59

A photo of Picea Martinezii a very rare Mexican sprucePhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea martinezii

Nice! Looks as though it could do with a bit more light.

Resin

PS remember to hit carriage return between the text and the image code ;-)

o

Picea martinezii
Picea martinezii, my plant.
Clément

o

Nice there are only about 100 or so trees in the wild
in canyons.Im glad there are a few in cultivation as
seed was collected.

o

A few of my more vigorous seedlings....2nd flush appears almost complete...seed "said" to have come from one of the more recently discovered stands!

Johnny

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Are there any nurseries carrying this?

o

Just a update on current growth progression. Oddly, no 'second flushes' on the 'terminals'. Seedlings are now in 3 gal. containers

Johnny

This post was edited by conifer50 on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 15:16

o

Nice work Johnny, They look great.

Al

o

Hello all!

I am a horticulturalist with Riverbanks Zoo's Botanical Garden in Columbia, SC. I am researching species of conifer for a dwarf/specimen conifer garden here. I have been specifically looking for species that will survive our absolutely unrelenting heat and humidity in the summer. P. martinezii as well as P. chihuahuana seem to be good candidates for this - but I cannot find these species for sale anywhere. Where did you get these trees conifer50?

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverbanks Botanical Garden

o

Hi Riverbanks,

Western Evergreen has P. chihuahuana seedlings that are to be potted up in I gal containers for retail sales, give them a try. Also another nursery which I can't recall name but maybe Fairfield/web member can chime in a give details to that source.

I've still have several Picea martinezii seedling in I gal pots and maybe I can part with one...you might also like to go with Picea torano

Johnny

o

Those are rockin' Johnny.

Dax

o

Hey Dax!

How's the "Cabin Fever" coming along? It's been "hell" on this end!!

Johnny

o

Camellia Forest has the P. chihuahuana seedlings.

o

Terrible winter Johnny!! I collected scions yesterday for Alex and I was shocked that every other nordmann seedling and most all my Picea orientalis were burned. They'll be fine, but I haven't seen anything like that ever.

I didn't walk past the single survivor Picea torano of the (2) you sent a couple years ago but if I muster up the courage, I'll suit up and go look.

Good news is less ticks this coming year and significantly less Japanese beetles and a minor wipe out of Emerald Ash Borer. I've heard that up in MinnEsota they're expecting 75% of the EAB population to be killed.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here