Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seydoux

Christmas trees

seydoux
11 years ago

We just bought a beautiful property in Southern PA, and I want to plant trees we can cut over the years for our own Christmas trees. Here is the problem, I want the type of tree that you see in Martha Stewart or in Europe, the very open branched very short needle ones, and despite days on the internet I can not find out what variety of fir they are, and if they can grow in my climate. Can you experts help I want to buy quite few to last me for the rest of my life. lol

Comments (9)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Norway Spruce.

Simple to grow them, just let them grow naturally with no shearing.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

counting the whorls .. that tree is approx'ly 9 years old ...

probably planted as a one year seedling... with very short establishment phase ...

if you buy larger ones.. they will take longer to establish ... and get going ...

i suggest nothing bigger than 2nd year seedlings.. my MI soil conservation district sells them for a few bucks each in spring...

otherwise.. check a supplier like at the link.. as an e.g.

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

A word of caution, though - These get to be huge trees. Our house was built in 1975, and the original owner planted norway spruce along the driveway. Almost 40 years later, they are fairly big - 50 feet tall, with a fair bit of spread. Not saying don't plant them, just be aware of their potential size! Given another 40 years, the spruces out front could easily top 100 feet. Ones that large are common around here, planted back in the 20s or 30s.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Another reason to start with seedlings-larger ones in garden centers have often been sheared, an abomination that many growers and /or retailers think necessary to get them to "thicken up nice". You specifically don't want that for your Christmas trees, and given the fact you'd be harvesting said trees relatively early in their lives, they would not necessarily have had time to grow out of this well-intended but uglifying treatment.

+oM

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Also, if you have the space, it would be worth planting just a few each year - So you always have a nice sized, ready-to-cut tree.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would suggest you plant them now ... rather than a few a year ...

i did this 12 years ago.. planted 10 firs ... and to date .. not a single one is over 4 feet.. they are all ugly .. [mind you.. never really cared for] .. and frankly.. if i ever get to harvest one.. in my remaining 30 years.. i will be surprised ...

you will need to plant at least 25 .. IMHO ... as a starting base.. perhaps in 3 differing sizes ... to really get a viable crop going ... and then add 5 to 10 each season.. every year down the line ....

do not think.. that you can plant one.. and for sure.. harvest it in a few years ... odds are.. you plant 5 to 10.. to get that single one .... and therein lies the rub ... [oh yeah.. hope the deer dont find them] ... the odds of 'getting' that one perfect tree.. will require a vast investment in product and time..

and i wish you all the luck with the whole scheme ...

ken

ps: and please dont let any of the above dissuade you from planting trees ... you have nothing to lose.. and the investment is rather low.. as noted in the link in my previous post ... i would just prefer that you go into the project with 'eyes wide open' .. as they say ...

pps: your county soil conservation.. or extension office.. or the state forestry office.. most likely has brochures or online links to various state programs relating to such .. it really is big biz in many states .. MI even offers small transplants at spring planting time.. at ridiculous prices ....

Here is a link that might be useful: i wonder what percent.. actually make it to market.. in a form which would entice someone to pay big money for them ....

• seydoux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! I have more than enough space to plant a huge number lol and at $2 a piece I think I can afford it. We were actually going to plant some Norway Spruce anyway as a screen from the road, but you are right, the ones in the nursery are much fuller. It may be a romantic notion, but it would feel great to be able to do this.

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Around here, Norway spruce will be 8 feet tall in 5 years if planted as a small potted tree.

• GeorgeCortazzo
    10 years ago

Pine tree easy to cultivate & grows up to 50 feet (15 m) tall or more. Necessary to maintain pH & water.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer