Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Xanthocyparis vietnamensis

gardener365
14 years ago

What's going on with this now? How hardy is it and what are all of the cultural conditions it tolerates or it does not? Growth rate? Where has it been planted, globally?

Thanks!

Dax

Comments (8)

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Saw one outdoors up here recently. So far, so good, no damage after one winter outdoors. But in a sheltered spot very close to the coast, so it probably didn't get anything below about -4ð. Planted in fairly average clay-loam, most but not soggy. Growth rate hard to tell, as not yet established.

Resin

PS better treated as Cupressus vietnamensis

• blue_yew
    14 years ago

Hi Resin

What is the name of the place near you that has
    the Xanthocyparis.I think however its more hardy
    than people think.The are some X vietnamensis at
    Bedgebury pinetum they came through -14C/6F with
    no damage.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How quickly do they grow in their natural habitat on the large specimens I've only read about? What a mess if the whole Cupressus/Juniperus thing were to come into play if Xanthocyparis were to become scientific/botanic... nomenclature.

Thanks guys,

Dax

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

Supposedly it has survived outside in a sheltered spot in Moscow of all places. It grows well for me - mine is all adult foliage. I saw a plant in California that was all juvenile still and very distinct. I will share photos if my cuttings from it take...The largest I have seen are potted plants at RBGE where they are coning...

• pineresin
    14 years ago

The ones at RBGE are grown from cuttings, they were already coning when the cuttings were taken. There appears to be a degree of persistence in foliage type, cuttings with juvenile foliage remain most/all juvenile for some time, cuttings from adult foliage ditto. Not sure if any seedlings have been grown anywhere yet.

Adult foliage plant (RBGE)

Juvenile foliage plant (RBGE)

Mature open cones (RBGE). Very similar to small Cupressus lusitanica cones.

Resin

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My capillary action has increased upon reading about that one in Moscow. Thankss for sharing sal. Nice photos Resin... the adult foliage looks just as does Yellow Cypress, Cupressus nootkatenis and the cones are butifol!

Dax

• jaro_in_montreal
    14 years ago

Interesting... the juvenile foliage plant appearance is reminiscent of Cunninghamia.

.....but I suppose other juvenile plants are like that too ??

What does it all mean ?

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Cupressus tonkinensis (also from Vietnam) juv foliage is somewhat similar, though its adult foliage and cones less so. I'd suspect the juvenile foliage morphology has much to do with adaptation to near-tropical rainforest conditions.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupressus tonkinensis photos