Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liopleurodon

What kind of pine is this?

liopleurodon
11 years ago

Hi,

Can someone please help me in identifying what kind of pine this is?

These are pictures from the tree itself:

Pictures from the foliage and buds:

The cones: they're 3.5cm - 4.5cm long (1.38" - 1.77")(unopened)

Sorry for the bad picture quality, but I only had my cellphone at hand when I saw the tree.

Thank you very much!

Comments (15)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Pinus resinosa.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

a rather abused one .. wonder what caused that.. i am not familiar with Belgium snow load .. is that a possibility????

what attracted you to it.. just the knowledge ..???

interesting GW name ...

take care

ken

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Pinus mugo nothosubsp. rotundata

Sorry Dax, wrong cone scale shape for P. resinosa

Resin

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Japanese black pine?

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ID's.
    I hope I'll be as good as you guys one day in doing so.

I found the pine interesting as it indeed looked rather odd.
    Snowload (sadly) won't be the problem where I live. I have no real data abaout it, but I think we have only a few days of snowfall each year. (2 and 3 yrs ago we had more snow than usual though)

It looks quite similar to both P. mugo rotundata and P. thunbergii (according to pictures I can find online).
    Are there any decisive differences between both?
    Or are there more possibilities?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Japanese black has longer, thicker needles etc. with associated coarser texture and branching. How long are needles of specimen asked about?

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I would say it's Pinus thunbergii because of the needle length..

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That's why I need a cone collection, but Resin, you are no doubt the single most intelligent man when it comes to conifers (and other plants!) that I know.

Never in a million years would I be able to equate those photos to a mugo/

Dax

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll probably see the tree again in two days, so I'll measure it's needles.
    However, if I recall correctly, then the needles looked longer than 7cm to me (P. mugo has needles 3-7 cm according to Wikipedia).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i didnt think snow was an issue ...

but that bend is mystifying ... the side branches.. have been pulled from horizontal to vertical at the bend.. and the power to bend .. and 'hold it bent' ... on a very old thick tree.. it just baffling .... in the city no less ...

it not only bends .. but it looks like it is going back to vertical..

i wonder if it was growing out from under another giant.. which has been removed.. a few years ago ????

ken

• honymand
    11 years ago

Does look pretty much like the Pinus mugo I have at home - it's not the same subspecies though. About the shape and size of the tree: P. mugo is common along motorways in the greater Copenhagen area as well as in ocean-near plantations on very poor soils (= sand). As far as I have seen P. mugo can can almost any shape, from really weather-stunted shrubs no more than 1-2 m in height to "real" trees looking almost like christmas trees maybe 10-15 m in height.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Pinus thunbergii has paler yellow-buff cones with flatter scales; the dark nut-brown cone with slightly bulbous scales is very typical P. mugo.

Needle length of over 7cm on a Pinus mugo doesn't worry me; this tree is likely on more fertile soil and also at lower altitude in a warmer climate, than it usually grows in. I remember finding an irrigated Pinus pinea planted at sea level in Turkey which had its longest needles over 30cm long, double the usual published maximum.

Resin

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I measured some needles and they're between 9.2cm and 9.5cm (3.62" and 3.74").

I heated the cones so they opened.
    This is how they look like now:

Are these still clearly cones of P. mugo?

@ken: Very close to the pine there is a willow which has been trimmed a lot not too long ago, so perhaps that's why the pine is growing so odd.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Yep, definite P. mugo

Resin

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The close-up shots of the older shoots look like what is often seen on older, tree-like ones here. And Japanese black pine produces straighter branches in more of a zig-zag pattern. Winter buds will often be noticeably whitish, too.

Sponsored
Sturdevant Construction
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Newport News' Reliable & Award Winning General Contractors