Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

mid winter trading with soil freezing

well that title sux ... lol ...

in am in ground freeze area ... any pots i might hold over.. freeze solid ...

what would i do.. if say.. in mid january.. someone from a warmer clime.. wanted to gift me.. potted stock.. that IS dormant .. but not frozen .. presuming its zone appropriate for me ...

on some level .. i am thinking.. my local pots.. freeze gradually .. and in this example.. they might freeze overnight ... on some level.. i guess the issue MIGHT be.. hardening off ...

do i just throw them in the barn with the rest.. and let it freeze like the rest???

i have no clue what other options i might have.. surely they cant be brought in the house .... perhaps the attached garage [being a zone or two warmer] ... a box.. and some insulation.. might forestall freezing.. subject to the whims of mother earth ...

thoughts?? comments??? suggestions???

ken

Comments (6)

• brentm
    11 years ago

Ken-

Depends on how warm of a climate the plant material is coming from. If they're in Zone 6/7 and going to your Zone 5, I believe, then you should be okay. If they're in 8/9 and they have had a mild Fall/Winter, then the plant is going to be much more sensitive to periods of low temperature.

Plants become more freezing tolerant based on shortening day lengths, as well as progressively lower temperatures. So in both zones the day length issue is covered, but make not the lower temperatures. If the plants they send have only seen 45F, and they're going to see 5F at your place shortly after arrival, then they will likely be damaged. If they however have experienced 15/20F, they should be fine - this all assumes that the plant is hardy to 5F.

I can elaborate on this if necessary
    -Brent

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you have hit the variables .. spot on brent ...

so presuming i actually have a friend.. and presuming the plant is FULLY Z5 ... and presuming it was my one and only chance ..

what would you do ????

the house is too warm.. they will come out of dormancy ...

ken

• brentm
    11 years ago

I'd keep a few bags of fine mulch in the garage, or anywhere above freezing. When the plant arrives, place it in the barn or another spot where temperatures won't dip below ~20F, pile the mulch around all sides, also adding 2" above the soil line in the container. The fine mulch will nicely buffer freezing events and prevent it from shock. Of course when it arrives, look at the upcoming forecast, make sure it's not going to get too cold, etc. You want it to acclimate gently...

In the spring, pull it out of the mulch, plant it, or keep it in a container.

Original Author
    11 years ago

your a hoot brent... in my z5.. approx'ly 20 ... [how did you make that squiggle ...]

IS THE DAILY NORM/HIGH FOR MOST OF JAN AND FEB... hitting zero often .. after midnight.. as clapton might say ....

its MI for God's sake.. lol ...

i think.. i will have to find a second friend [odds low on that] ... that has a greenhouse.. where is starter dude ...

though you do exactly describe how i store properly hardened off potted plants in my barn..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i didnt know it wasnt claptons song.. go figure

• brentm
    11 years ago

Clarification - place it where temps won't dip below ~20F for at least a few days after receipt of the new plant. That way it won't be temperature shocked immediately... The 40F mulch will buffer the freezing events for a while.

Original Author
    11 years ago

brent!!!

you cursed me.. it was 19 degrees this morning...

yikes.. i think its going to be a long, cold winter ...

ken