Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thesteg

Snow Load

steg
10 years ago

Some pics from last week where we got hit with an early, icy snow.

Generally deciduous conifers (larch, dawn redwood, bald cypress) are not a candidate for snow load issues, because by the time heavy snows roll around, their needles are already gone. As such, there's nothing for the snow to stick to/weigh stuff down. However, if a snow comes before the tree has fully entered a dormant state, you might have some issues...

Larch to the left, unaffected. Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon', weighed down to the ground by snow/ice.

Close-up.

I shook off as much snow as I could by swatting at the branches and gently shaking the trunk a bit. It shot up to a pretty sharp angle and had a very pronounced lean for a few days. After about 4 days, it was completely upright again.

I suspect that, had this specimen been a few years older, and not as pliable, a significant portion of the tree would have snapped off.

Not conifers, but some bamboo (Phyllostachys bisetti mainly) affected by snow load. These guys also topple over after heavy rains, but always pop back up as the water runs off/evaporates.

Steg

Comment (1)