Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Cupressus (Xanthocyparis) nootkatensis understock

coniferjoy
12 years ago

For next winter I've some beautiful large understock of this species.

I would like to graft something on these at about 60 till 80 cm but I don't know what is possible.

A while ago someone here showed us a schedule which other one's are related so I can see which I can pick.

If I'm not wrong it was Dax or Resin who showed it.

Please can you show it again?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Here you are:

So: anything in Cupressus or Juniperus, and pretty good chances with anything in Calocedrus, Tetraclinis, Platycladus and Microbiota.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Resin, thanks for this schedule.
    Now I know which one's I can graft on these for next winter...
    This will become one of them:
    Microbiota decussata 'Carnival'

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Some guy here in the USA last I heard is growing successfully Cupressus nootkatenis grafted on Microbiota roots and his tree was 18 years old, then.

Here we use Juniper instead of Platycladus for all "Cupressus/Chamaecyparis/etc-" Platycladus works for the west coast but is a sh#t understock for my climate. Grafted nootka's die very often when purchased liner size or #1 pot from the West Coast. Our preference is Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii'.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dax, it's now Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz' which you've to stake to get them straight.
    The nootka easy thing is that they grow very straight by themselves.
    I'm going to try graftings from several species which are mentioned in the schedule, Microbiota is on of them.
    Some others will be Calocedrus decurrens 'Compacta' and 'Intricata' which are dwarfs.
    I also will try some Juniperus communis, horizontalis and pfitzeriana (x)
    Unfortunately I've to wait for another year untill these are high and thick enough...

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz'? Why not J.v. 'Hetzii'???

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Because it's renamed in 1963.
    'Hezii' is a Latin written peronsname from which using is illegitimate after 1959.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Whoa! Edwin! I love that! Very interesting color to it and usually those are not my style the arborvitae style needles just don't normally do squat for me.

But whatever that one is? Microbiota decussata 'Carnival' I guess it is? I love that one! Very nice one. =)

~Tina

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

That sure is an interesting tree. Heck, I believe by looking at it that it is not hardy to here. BUT, I would be willing to even keep that one as a potted plant and drag it in and out of my greenhouse. It sure is unusual.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Wow, that is nice. From Siberia?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Indeed, the species Microbiota decussata is from Siberia and is one of the most hardy conifers we known, maybe this cultivar is less lardy because of it's variegation.

The 'Carnival' shows us now it's winter colours which are a purplebrown with yellow.
    In Spring it will change into green and yellow until it's getting colder in Autumn when it returns in what it now looks like.

'Carnival' is a Boyko's introduction...

• tunilla
    12 years ago

I hope the Microbiotas in Siberia won't suffer too much from the current "heatwave" over there; it is only - 40�C whereas normally it should be - 60�C !!! T.

PS I had a 'normal' one dying on me over the last two summers . Anyone growing this plant where dry/hot summers occur ?

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Hi T.

Send us some photos of your garden with that beautiful mountain scenery thrown in.

Microbiota decussata on high standard. This one has survived the hot Kansas summers for the last 6 years. This year was especially hot and dry. This conifer needs full sun. In my neck of the woods partial shade will not get it.

Give it another try.

Dave

{{gwi:769808}}

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"I hope the Microbiotas in Siberia won't suffer too much from the current "heatwave" over there; it is only - 40ðC whereas normally it should be - 60ðC !!! T. "

It isn't that cold where it comes from - it occurs on the Sikhote Alin range, the hills just northeast of Vladivostok, with a fairly maritime climate compared to most of Siberia. Conditions similar to Vermont or Maine.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Resin, what condtions are these and what maximum and minimum temperatures are there?

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

WOW Dave, even the green one looks fantastic. Beautiful plants guys.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"Resin, what condtions are these and what maximum and minimum temperatures are there?"

There's climate data for Vladivostock here (scroll down to 'Geography'). Knock a few degrees off and increase precipitation a bit, for the higher altitudes (800-1200 m) that Microbiota grows at.

Worth adding though that Microbiota will get reliable deep snow cover in winter, so it may be less capable of withstanding cold dry conditions than one might expect (and particularly so if grafted high up as a standard).

Resin

• coniflora
    12 years ago

Most Nursery's in Oregon are using Thuja occ. for Microbiota decussata standards, including Boyko.

The only problem with using nootkatensis is that you loose some of the cold hardiness potential of Microbiota.

I regards to Calodedrus, i have successfully used thuja orientalis and cupressus leylandii as rootstock. I am not sure about the long term success of these combinations because they have ugly bulges at the graft union.

Good Luck

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"The only problem with using nootkatensis is that you loose some of the cold hardiness potential of Microbiota"

Do you have any evidence that Cupressus nootkatensis is less cold-hardy than Microbiota? I'd doubt that there's much (if any) difference - remember Cupressus nootkatensis occurs north to 61�N in Alaska, whereas Microbiota is only at 43�N (same as Florence, and Marseille!).

Resin

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's why I like the nootka and Microbiota combination very much, both are very winterhardy :0)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County