Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

hardiest Cedrus?

joeschmoe80
11 years ago

I'm outside Columbus, OH. I LOVE the "true Cedars" and want to try one.

1. Which is hardier? The "Himalayan" Cedrus deodara, like "Karl Fuchs" and "eisgren" or the "stenocomas (C. libani var. stenocoma)? Both have been mentioned as doable in my area, which is essentially a zone 5b or 6a (we've been as cold as -10F in the last decade, usually not that cold, but past decades have been colder). I like the softer look of the deodara, but have heard stenocoma is hardier. Are both worth trying?

2. Is there a good local/semi local (within 3 to 4 hrs drive) of LARGER sized specimens of the above-mentioned plants? Something bigger than 12' tall or so.

Comments (10)

• jinxz5
    11 years ago

Joe, You might try the Dawes Arboretum in Newark. They have a nice conifer collection. Jay

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Both are hardy in zone 6. Cedrus libani var. stenocoma is definitely the hardier of all true cedars.

Dax

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Dawes is close to you and should be your first stop. Spring Grove in Cincinnati has many Stenocoma and the Ohio State Champion also. The Stenocoma at Spring grove survived 1992 winter of -25 so they are cold hardy.

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like a trip to Newark is in order.

Where would I BUY them?

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is Cryptomeria a push around here? Is it more or less likely to winterkill than the aforementioned Cedrus?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I don't believe Cryptomeria likes the intense heat of midwest summers. It's certainly hardy in zone 6 however. My advice is if you have to have it to water it very frequently and site it in a location where afternoon sun isn't present.

You can buy all your cedars from Gee Farms.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Gee Farms Link for 2012 Catalog

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Cryptomeria cultivars differs in their hardiness. You have cultivars selected in Sweden like Tateyama or Swedica or in Poland like Wladislaw Bugala which are very hardy and you have cultivars which have a lot of problems in wind and winter hardiness.Also you can have seed from the nothernst part of Japan, which is more hardy than from the South.
    And at last you have selections p.e. 'Egmont' from New Zealand ( Cedar Lodge Nursery), which are selected for windy locations.

Wolfgang

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax, no cedars at that link.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yes there is, click it and then click the link below that says:
    2012 Mail Order Catalog

There are (3) hardy deodara's and, cedrus libanai var. stenocoma, in #1 pots.

You might ask why did I link you that way? The answer is because the next link is a PDF. This way you have access to their website, and their online plant catalog.

Dax

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Is Cryptomeria a push around here? Is it more or less likely to winterkill than the aforementioned Cedrus?"

Sugi is a bit hardier than all but perhaps C. libani var. stenocoma. But it doesn't look remotely like a cedar, so fails to meet your requirements ;-)

Resin