Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
123cococo

roundup and conifers

123cococo
10 years ago

I have a knockout rose that has overstayed its welcome. It is over ten feet tall and keeps growing back from the roots despite all attempts to completely remove it. I would like to use roundup and want to replant a conifer in that same location. Is there a waiting period? Will roundup poison the soil?

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

no and no ...

cut the rose to the ground.. apply 100% roundup on the stump ... it will never touch the soil ....

leave it for next summer.. to see if it resprouts ...

plan on planting in fall ...

you really dont know what the root stock is for the rose.. and some of them are near impossible to kill ...

the waiting has to do if seeing if the root mass dies.. it is not a function of roundup.. which becomes inert on touching the soil ...

ken

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I never use chemicals so this is a first. I have exhausted all other options.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

If there are no underground utilities there you COULD cut the plant down to a stub, get our your hand shovels and start exposing roots then take a sawzall to each as you find them.

It will be like a free workout.

Some years back I got frustrated and removed a good number of Honeysuckle this way. Cursed bushed. I hate them!

Ken's method is more rational. Something about cutting them into small pieces felt good on a primal level.

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have already chain sawed to ground, ripped out with chain and pickup truck but this monster keeps coming back and bigger every year. Tried everything manually possible. For me to resort to using a chemical after 30 plus years of never ever using a chemical in my yard...this sucker is evil. It was listed as becoming 3 x 3. Not 10 x 6. I had one other rose die of some type of virus so purposely used contaminated sheers to trim the monster and waited...it flourished.

10 years ago

dad tried to kill an old rose bush for 20 years ... lol ...

ANY piece of root will come back.. i swear to the almighty ... and some times.. we wouldnt see it for what seemed like 2 or 3 years ...

you can use the very expensive applicator at the link to apply MINIMAL product.. return to labeled container after each use ..

snip and drip.. every time you see a sprout ... do not let them get too big and feed the roots .... or you will lose ground on the decline ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hacked it to the ground today and applied Roundup as you suggested. I will apply it every week. Did your Dad win the rose bush battle? Ok I'm going to think I won just to be optimistic. Planting suggestion needed. A conifer that will look good between two Picea 'Gold Drift' I now have a very large space.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I don't know... roundup and waiting seems like a long process. When I want to make sure a tree or bush is dead, I cut it to the ground and set it on fire. Takes just a few minutes and I haven't had one come back... ever. But that's how we do it out here in the country... I don't know how the city folks do it =) lol

This post was edited by ricksample on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 22:03

10 years ago

once a week is excessive.. especially in winter ....

you are done .... UNLESS it resprouts ...

even if you plant a conifer on top of it.. and late next summer a rose sprouts.. just snip it.. and drip some more RU ... just on the sprout stump ...

this is more of a tenacity issue.. rather than a 'more is better' situation ...

ken

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rick, I would love to set it on fire because I detest it however I live in a log cabin lol.Probably wouldn't be the brightest move. Ok Ken, won't overkill.Will just watch it.Still, any suggestions for what would look nice between two gold drifts? Full sun.

10 years ago

i have no clue about z10 .... i didnt even know GDs would grow there ...

but between two golds.. you must have a blue ...

but what blue in z10???

how do i know ...

ken

ps: nashville is z10??? .. what are those numbers next to your name ....??? .. wait.. only on your last reply ... now that is a mystery .....

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken , I'm in Zone 7 Nashville. It keeps changing to Z10 for some strange reason.Kathy

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Oh I just love the idea of incinerating the ones that we don't likeâ¦this fantasy will keep me going for at least a few weeks! My husband has a backhoe and that is usually the manner of death (when the plant is accessible) but fire seems soooo much more satisfying!

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I've set fires to large tree stumps and some have burned for weeks.
    Wish I had a backhoe though. Usually I just cut a tree as low as possible and bury it. Cheaper than a stump grinding and faster too. Stumps that sprout get the Crossbow, brush killer treatment. Roundup has it's limitations.
    Some, I just cover with a shovelfull of topsoil and Sedums.
    I haven't found a rose I couldn't dig up, but then again, I hand dug a basement once.
    Mike

10 years ago

Stumps that sprout get the Crossbow, brush killer treatment. Roundup has it's limitations.

==>>> splain lucy????

though i have to believe.. its not economical to need to own both???? ... is crossbow commonly available to the homeowner????

yeah.. we all wish we had a backhoe ... one more thing to be envious of ...

ken

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Good morning, Ken.
    Roundup doesn't kill Clover, Morning glory, Horsetail, and Blackberries very well. Crossbow does a much better job on those and brush, and is available on the shelves of most large garden centers. No pesticide license required. That's my experience and I'm sure there are some experts that will clarify it more. I use Roundup a lot more than Crossbow, but use Crossbow in certain circumstances.
    My reliance on herbicides has lessened over the years because of my increased use of woodchips, then groundcovers, once the ground is conquered of trees and brush. I would rather not use any herbicides, but with 10 acres it's almost necessary if I don't want to spend all my time swinging a hoe, and on my hands and knees pulling weeds. At 70, I'm too old for much of that.
    Mike

10 years ago

what the heck are you doing up at 730 MY TIME... ???

RU takes care of horsetail .. if you hit it 3 or 4 times during the season ...

ken

• 123cococo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seventy acres and went to a different method for the blackberries that run rampant here. Same thing. Don't see myself weeding these things at seventy. I buy pine tree seedlings and surround them. The pines grow up and kill them very rapidly. We have so many slopes on this property that the tractor cant get to them. This method is working very well and I can bush hog the flat parts. I let most of the flat land go to brush though and introduced quail back into the area .The area surrounding the house is complete groundcover and conifers, no grass now. This summer of no mowing was wonderful.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH