Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

less common conifers

joeschmoe80
11 years ago

What are some more unusual/less common conifers (of all sizes) good for my area, which is a zone 5B/6A (last true zone 5 winter was '09 when we dipped to -12F in my area)? Something different from the standard fare of White Pine, Austrian Pine, Blue Spruce, and Thujas.

I'm already looking at Cedrus (hardy deodaras like Karl Fuchs, and Stenocomas), what are some others?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Joe, there are literally tens of thousands of cultivars to choose from. I recommend going over to the forum side and start looking at galleries then build a list of what wows you. Nearly all pines, firs and spruce are hardy to zone 5. If you're starting out, I wouldn't mess around with the borderline hardy stuff. More times than not, you'll be throwing away your money or torturing yourself looking at a plant that's struggling in your area.

Once you've made your list, the fun part of tracking down your plants begins. At that point, you can be called a conehead. Good luck and happy hunting.

~Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

where are you in OH joe???

there are some great arboretums in OH ... [read that: TAGGED collections]

that would be a great place to start ... and a nice afternoon in fresh air ...

otherwise what dave said ...

your list.. seems to be a list of what is offered at bigboxstore.. of my 500+ collection.. at least 2/3 came in the mail ... so really.. the sky is the limit.. as far as whats available to you ... and you can read zone tags as well as the rest of us ...

using the search function in GW .. you should find some old posts on something like PREFERRED VENDORS.. or some such thing.. perhaps someone can link you to firefighter boys multiple posts in that regard ...

good luck

ken

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Powell (S. Delaware County, near Dublin and Westerville).

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How does Japanese Umbrella-pine (Sciadopitys verticillata) hold up in my area?

• deltaohioz5
    11 years ago

You should visit Dave Dannaher in Galena.

Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: Dannaher Landscaping

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I'm in Powell (S. Delaware County, near Dublin and Westerville)

==>> crimminey joe. i dont live in OH .. that means nothing.. but for the fact we have friends that live in westerville .. and know its north columbus ...

yes.. dannaher is IN westerville.. get there soon.. but i do suggest an appointment.. i would tell you to tell his wife that i sent you.. but she doesnt like us MI guys .... lol...

see link for places near you ..

and try to visit dawes ...

good luck joe

ken

ps: franklin park sounds cool ... take some pix.. and show us the place if you ever go ,....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Umbrella, sure. If you have soil that drains, you can grow a lot of stuff.

I don't know if you like seedlings or grafted conifers, however, I'd elect:

Picea omorika
    Pinus koraiensis
    Picea orientalis
    Pinus peuce
    Abies koreana x lasiocarpa

Some interesting cultivars:
    Picea glauca 'Spruce Lane'
    Picea orientalis 'Early Gold'
    Picea engelmannii 'Blue Angel' (Coenosium Garden is the only place I know of that has that plant in their collection). I pre-ordered my graft. I also recall on the forum that Will/firefighter said Bob was grafting some of those that will be for sale. I don't know when though.

Dwarfs:
    Picea pungens 'Burl'
    Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    Pinus mugo 'Mini Mops'
    Pinus strobus 'Buck's Broom'
    Abies concolor 'Charming Chub'

Dax

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Powell means Dayton, right?

Dawes arboretum is probably a half hour from you. It absolutely rocks. Good hiking garden. Good conifer collection.

I vote for Metasequoia. They do not seem to be as huge at Dawes as in Cincy and Seecrest by Cleveland but impressive none the less.

Think I saw more Metasequoia Ogons planted in Ohio than anyplace.

• megzee
    11 years ago

I know that Sciadopitys withstands the winters here in Wisconsin (zone 5A), so it should hold up where you are. Though, like Dax says, do make sure that the soil you plant it in is suitable (i.e. well drained).

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Sciadopitys will handle our cold, but one word of warning. It has been the #1 deer candy so protect it when young.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Thats strange, Sciadopitys is typically avoided by deer. I can't say it would be different during extreme winters.

Thuja is deer candy around here.

I'm testing two cultivars this year in zone 5a. Drainage is primo, interested to see what happens.

I like the suggestion about cruising through the galleries.

Or just visit a few sites like this so you can get started on stuff that is available. You'll like what you like when you see it. There is plenty of stuff that folks like that I hate and vice versa.

Conifer Kingdom
    Dans Dwarf Conifers
    Oriental Garden Supply
    Porterhowse
    Gee Farms
    Song Sparrow
    Western Evergreen
    Iconic Gardens
    Coenosium
    Blue River Nursery
    Broken Arrow Nursery

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm mildly concerned about the pH of my soil. I did a soil test recently, and my pH is 6.8-since most conifers are "acid loving" - is that too high?

The ones around here seem OK, but that's mostly the aformentioned Thuja, Picea, and Pinus that I see.

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, toronado, Powell is Columbus area.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

There appear to be more or less virulent strains of deer around the country. For example...knock on wood...I've never had mine eat rhododendrons, which are supposed to be fairly toxic. (A few azaleas are favored by them, particularly single species deciduous azaleas like R. kaempferi) Yet some people in New England say deer eat rhododendrons there all the time.

They have never nibbled on my Japanese Umbrella pine and honestly I don't remember them ever seriously damaging any conifer. I think most of them taste terrible.

• pasadena
    11 years ago

Take a stab at a blue Chinese Fir (Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca'); the blue cultivar is a little more cold hardy. Ours has taken -10 degF.; the only problem has been snow load with that foliage; MDW has done a great job of rehabilitating ours after a heavy winter

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 13:38

David, deer in SW VA ate rhododendrons or even Mountain laurel down to the nub if there was nothing else (which eventually there wasn't).

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Wow...they have tough constitutions! Would Oleander stop them, I wonder?

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Don't know, but they eat Death Angel mushrooms w/o a problem!

• picea
    11 years ago

I second going to Dawes to check out their conifers and then to Dannaher's for plant. Dave has a good selection of plants and can tell you what typically does well in that area since he uses his plants in his landscape designs and installations. But do call first to check when they will be open.