Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

some long range bed pix

maybe for rick.. with his front yard design.. understand that depth of focus is much different between some tiny transplants.. and 10 years later .... and of course.. the rest of you can enjoy

ken

{{gwi:841908}}

{{gwi:841911}}

{{gwi:841913}}

Comments (10)

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice!

I also like the P. flexilis 'Extra Blue'.

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

I like the sense of space in your garden.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Nice Ken. Big trees of ALL kinds. A reminder conifers do not need planted only near other conifers.

Golf courses should call you to do some designing!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

top two pix.. same area.. what i call the south pasture ... it was just horse pasture when i moved in in 2000 ...

the extra blue is on the left in one pic.. and the right in the other ...

i then turned 90 degrees due north.. and walked about 50 paces.. and took the last shot of the middle pasture.. which i bet each one of you can figure out what that was 10 years ago ... lol ...

the white birch.. whitespire.. are the delineation of the beginning of the .. wait for it.. north pasture.. do i need to explain.. or are you with me .. rotflmbo ...

ken

• Cher
    12 years ago

It's really lovely Ken. The plants have grown up nicely since you moved there. Lovely photos you've posted in the other posts today also.
    Cher

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Ken, very very beautiful gardens. It appears as though you have a lot of space also. I'm glad you posted so that I can get an idea of other conifer gardens on large acreage. Just beautiful.

When we moved here we also moved onto pasture land. It is really awful clay soil. Do you have to do a lot in way of amending your soil?

Thank you for sharing all your photos Ken.

Original Author
    12 years ago

i have what is called mineral sand.. not too fine.. not too course ...

it is perfect for trees/conifers.. hosta are not quite so happy ....

the kids can run a hose in the mud pit for hours ... and barely get a puddle to form ...

it is all about drainage ...

i do not amend at planting ... but i mulch heavily.. for the first few years ... for soil cooling and water management ...

and i NEVER fertilize ... in my world.. forests .. trees and conifers.. cover a vast majority of the face of the earth.. with no intervention by man .. nor woman... except for those few babe years.. they are well suited to cope with whatever they get themselves .... of course.. we collectors mess that all up by zone pushing..a nd trying to grow things outside their native range.. but those die in my yard.. and i move on ...

my regrets on your clay .... when i moved here.. there were a few variables that were important .. such as .. in this order:

acreage
    soil: anything but clay
    polebarn
    house

ken

an example of my native soil

{{gwi:250981}}

• ricksample
    12 years ago

It looks great Ken! I only wish I had sandy soil... When I built my house I just had two things in mind (Size of the house, acreage) I was never planning on doing any landscaping or anything, how things change so quickly lol...

I was so focused on what I wanted in the house only because I plan to retire here. I didn't know anything about soil types, but that's probably why I got my land so cheap.

Anyhow, I always enjoy seeing entire bed views instead of up close photos. It really shows me what I'm capable of once my plan starts to progress and my trees get larger.

That Pinus 'Extra Blue' Wasn't that one you said you didn't really like in a thread earlier this year... or maybe I was hallucinating lol? I think it looks pretty neat... I've been looking for a long needled pine.

Original Author
    12 years ago

love and hate is a fine line.. lol....

first pic.. the branch reaching across the path.. if walking hits me smack in face..

on the riding mower ... knocks my hat off ....

i hate it at those time ...

its winter.. i wont be walking or mowing for 4 months.. its not bothering me ... lol ...

ken

• Ament
    12 years ago

Always entertaining to read your posts Ken, Always. =)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner