Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some long range bed pix

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 10:51

maybe for rick.. with his front yard design.. understand that depth of focus is much different between some tiny transplants.. and 10 years later .... and of course.. the rest of you can enjoy

ken
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some long range bed pix

Nice!

I also like the P. flexilis 'Extra Blue'.

o

I like the sense of space in your garden.

o

Nice Ken. Big trees of ALL kinds. A reminder conifers do not need planted only near other conifers.

Golf courses should call you to do some designing!

o

top two pix.. same area.. what i call the south pasture ... it was just horse pasture when i moved in in 2000 ...

the extra blue is on the left in one pic.. and the right in the other ...

i then turned 90 degrees due north.. and walked about 50 paces.. and took the last shot of the middle pasture.. which i bet each one of you can figure out what that was 10 years ago ... lol ...

the white birch.. whitespire.. are the delineation of the beginning of the .. wait for it.. north pasture.. do i need to explain.. or are you with me .. rotflmbo ...

ken

o

It's really lovely Ken. The plants have grown up nicely since you moved there. Lovely photos you've posted in the other posts today also.
Cher

o

Ken, very very beautiful gardens. It appears as though you have a lot of space also. I'm glad you posted so that I can get an idea of other conifer gardens on large acreage. Just beautiful.

When we moved here we also moved onto pasture land. It is really awful clay soil. Do you have to do a lot in way of amending your soil?

Thank you for sharing all your photos Ken.

o

i have what is called mineral sand.. not too fine.. not too course ...

it is perfect for trees/conifers.. hosta are not quite so happy ....

the kids can run a hose in the mud pit for hours ... and barely get a puddle to form ...

it is all about drainage ...

i do not amend at planting ... but i mulch heavily.. for the first few years ... for soil cooling and water management ...

and i NEVER fertilize ... in my world.. forests .. trees and conifers.. cover a vast majority of the face of the earth.. with no intervention by man .. nor woman... except for those few babe years.. they are well suited to cope with whatever they get themselves .... of course.. we collectors mess that all up by zone pushing..a nd trying to grow things outside their native range.. but those die in my yard.. and i move on ...

my regrets on your clay .... when i moved here.. there were a few variables that were important .. such as .. in this order:

acreage
soil: anything but clay
polebarn
house

ken

an example of my native soil

Photobucket

o

It looks great Ken! I only wish I had sandy soil... When I built my house I just had two things in mind (Size of the house, acreage) I was never planning on doing any landscaping or anything, how things change so quickly lol...

I was so focused on what I wanted in the house only because I plan to retire here. I didn't know anything about soil types, but that's probably why I got my land so cheap.

Anyhow, I always enjoy seeing entire bed views instead of up close photos. It really shows me what I'm capable of once my plan starts to progress and my trees get larger.

That Pinus 'Extra Blue' Wasn't that one you said you didn't really like in a thread earlier this year... or maybe I was hallucinating lol? I think it looks pretty neat... I've been looking for a long needled pine.

o

love and hate is a fine line.. lol....

first pic.. the branch reaching across the path.. if walking hits me smack in face..

on the riding mower ... knocks my hat off ....

i hate it at those time ...

its winter.. i wont be walking or mowing for 4 months.. its not bothering me ... lol ...

ken

o

Always entertaining to read your posts Ken, Always. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here