Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (20)

• harv2016
    12 years ago

See your 'Hoopsi' and raise you a 'Montgomery'. Hoopsi is around 15 years in the ground, the Montogmery I planted at my previous residence in 1988.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nice ... harv ..

you can really tell how montgomery is not even in the hoopsi class .. late in fall ... though i bet spring flush is within the same limits ..

you been holding back on us.. post more pix harv ....

ken

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

I see no 'Montgomery'.

Dave

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Only going by what the tag said when planted Dave,but by no means an expert. What would you say the cultivar is?

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Dave, here's a pix of a picea abies 'acroconia' that's getting some decent maturity. The picture was taken a few weeks back as you can tell by the asters.

{{gwi:651690}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Nice colourfull pic Harv, but 'Acroconia' must bin written as 'Acrocona'.
    From where did you become your false cultivar name?

I'm also with Dave, that second pic isn't a 'Montgomery' which must be written as 'R.H. Montgomery'.
    On the other hand I can't say right now which one it truely is...

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Appreciate the corrections, I'm fairly new at this game. Been collecting conifers for years and didn't realize there were others with this strange affliction. The name just comes from my name and the year I hope to retire.

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Harv,

I can't tell you what it is either.

Here is a photo of my 15 year old 'R.H. Montgomery' for comparison.

Impressive photo of your garden...anything more to post?

Dave

{{gwi:749249}}

• harv2016
    12 years ago

I'll have to take some more pics one of these days. Here's one of a picea abies 'Formanek' I had stored in my computer from earlier this fall

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Harv, nice pics...keep them coming! What is next to the 'Formanek'?

will2049...that hurts reading that!

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Thanks Will, I really enjoy my plants. Next to it is a picea abies 'Hillside Upright' that's about six foot tall.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Ken,

Every time you post newer photos of that Hoopsi, it makes me want one of them. I love your Hoopsi. But it will have to wait. I refuse to plant such large lovely trees on this property. We won't remain on this property. In 8 years DH retires and I don't want to gift the future owners with such lovely trees! LoL At least the Pinus Parviflora, "Tanima No Yuki" can be dug up and moved with me when I move. LoL

Love the Hoopsi Ken. =) Thank you for sharing it and making me want that one even more. hehe

~Tina

Original Author
    12 years ago

hey ament .. welcome back ...

well.. this is the OTHER ONE .... not the one below ...

i dont think i have posted a pic of the one above in quite a while ...

let me sum it up this way ... i am a collector .... and really have little use for two of anything..

i have two hoopsii ... whats that all about.. lol ..

ken

they are about 400 feet apart

{{gwi:205545}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

This second one is the one I absolutely drool over! LoL Gah! I just love this one... I want it! *giggles* Isn't that terrible? I am so jealous!

I want that one so much it's so beautiful. Even my daughter loves this one Ken. I showed this one to her, she says it's so beautiful. Her and I are the type who would plant something like this out front and put lights on it every year, this time of year. Instead of having a tree in the house. LoL I detest cutting down trees and would prefer to have one growing outside that looked as lovely as this. =) You've a beauty there Ken. Great Job!

And Thank you for the welcome back =)

~Tina

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I detest cutting down trees and would prefer to have one growing outside that looked as lovely as this.

I went to a garden center the other day and I don't know why but I felt bad for these trees they cut down and waste for someone to enjoy for a month. There where literally HUNDREDS of them. And this is just 1 store in a fairly small community.

Come on people buy a tree and plant the darn thing. One of my neighbors has a 1/2 acre and hasn't plant a SINGLE plant. Looks like I'll have to grow a few and donate them to him....I already gave him a 6' Ginkgo. Why not at least I can enjoy them too!

Original Author
    12 years ago

i am sorry ...

xmas trees are born and bred for cutting.. i feel no pain for those ..

and i dont feel sorry for the trees involved in the paper industry ... they are called a renewable resource ...

as for your neighbors.. what can i say ... or anyone who pays 25 to 100 dollars for a cut tree.. now that is lunacy ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Nah, what designates an Xmas tree? They had 5 different species of plants lined up like a death camp.

I understand why businesses sell them, well because people buy them!

And to your point, which is where I "tried" to go with it, is why someone spends that money on a cut tree that lasts 30 days. And yes I have seen some just shy of $100...are you nuts!?! That is just shy of my most expensive LIVE conifer with rootball and all...even got a black container with it as a bonus.

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of a hoopsi that I took at a friends place in Iowa. I love the blue color but I would never grow this one since it looks so much like a tree in my shelterbelt. It is a beautiful tree there is no doubt about that.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Eh, still lovin' Ken's hoopsi. =) I want that hoopsi Ken! LoL

I r Jealous? *snickers* One of these days.... I'll get myself one of those. Christmas tree lookin' or not, shelter belt lookin' or not... I like it. =P

~Tina

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Feeling sorry for Xmas trees? How about feeling sorry for a retiree having to lug a 7 ft tree (4 different firs at Lowes) from the store into the car, out of the car into the house, etc. The grandson requires one, needs to have a 'real' Xmas. How do you feel about chickens, fish, pigs and cattle, all are used as renewable resources = food.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!