Houzz Logo Print
blue_yew

cupressus cashmeriana

blue_yew
11 years ago

Hi All

Here is my cashmere cypress anyone know

how many clones are in cultivation?I have

another clone but may not be C cashmeriana.

Comments (14)

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant,Euan!

I like cashmeriana very much, but unfortunately not hardy in Germany.
    I saw 2 clones at Jozsef www.arizonica.hu

Wolfgang

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Here's mine at link below...the name of this plant seems to still be up in the air (cashmeriana doesn't seem quite right as I believe the plant is from Bhutan!) Quarryhill Botanical Garden here in Sonoma County has 10-12, all planted from seed, and the variation amongst them is notable. What constitutes a clone in this context?
    It is such a lovely, graceful plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupressus cashmeriana

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

thats a heck of a wooden stake down there..

is it vampirish.. and you are driving steak thru its heart [sp? on purpose] ...

otherwise.. fine specimen ..

why did i never figure you to have native scrub behind you??? ... hmm.. perhaps i havent been paying attention...

ken

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Ken :) me thinks you go in and out of consciousness erratically! LOL.

We've seen Euan's woods 100's of times, in fact.

Ha!

Dax

• blue_yew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My other clone???

{{gwi:842860}}

• texjagman
    11 years ago

For me this is one of the most beautiful conifers. Shame it isn't still in the wild.

It doesn't like anything below freezing for any length of time. But I got one anyway I'm zone pushing badly to see if I can get it to adapt. I planted it in very early spring as a two year graft and it grew well over another foot this summer. I put one of my large 24" round by 4' tall tomato cages around it for the winter. I wrapped the cage in clear plastic drop cloth material so light will still get in but it will act as a thermal barrier. It should keep the interior several degrees above outside termperatures. Now I'll watch and see what happens.

If it hardens off over the next couple of winters I will be thrilled. If not, I at least tried.

mark

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

There are several clones in cultivation and also sometimes seedlings found. I haven't found them to be fully hardy here in zone 8. My best one died from Armillaria root rot. It was a flawless specimen, growing 3'+ a year, then died.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Seeing these specimens at both pics I don't understand why "they" classified in the past Chamaecyparis nootkatensis/ Xanthocyparis nootkatensis as separate species.
    The leave structure of those is almost the same as from the Cupressus cashmeriana...

• nothotsuga
    11 years ago

Seeing these specimens at both pics I don't understand why "they" classified in the past Chamaecyparis nootkatensis/ Xanthocyparis nootkatensis as separate species.

Very good point indeed! I guess you want to say "separate genus". Imho because someone wanted to have the glory to associate his name with a new genus. Spach in his diagnose of the genus Chamaecyparis wrote: cones maturing in one year, which is not the case of Cupressus nootkatensis. So from the start it should never have been classified as Chamaecyparis.

How many people did see both species (Cupressus cashmeriana and Cupressus nootkatensis) grow next to each other? The author of the following article could only observe: it is obvious that both these species are congeneric.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOOTKA CYPRESS: CHAMAECYPARIS OR CUPRESSUS ?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, I meant to say separate genus, the foliage structures of Cupressus cashmeriana and Cupressus nootkatensis are almost identical...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Saying all this make's me think that the Xanthocyparis vietnamensis is in fact a Cupressus as well...

• pineresin
    11 years ago

It is ;-)

Resin

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Genussus and species are not my kind of field, but everybody with a good eye for foliages can see that these are quite simular...

How about the "experts", is this really a "new genus glory" thing?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Isn't is based more on reproductive parts than foliage? That was what I always thought, and have damned the DNA analysis more than once as it has resulted in all of these reclassifications.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor